Fenhorn

Re: Foraging for water

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 17:05

I personally don't bother that much about this in FbL, since I see it as a light survival game (compared to MYZ). One method that I think has been mentioned is to cap the number of steps that you can carry. The average number of rations (rolls) is:

d12: 11 rations (always at least four rations)
d10: 7,5 rations (always at least three rations)
d8: 4,5 rations (always at least two rations)
d6: 2 rations (always at least one ration)

If using the Alien variant instead, the average number of rations (rolls) is:

4d6: 11 rations
3d6: 9 rations
2d6: 6,5 rations
1d6: 3,5 rations

This way you only are guarantied one ration because you can roll multiple ones in a roll, but the chance of that is very small.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ebrim

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 17:48

Increase frequency of checks at appropriate times. That’s the way!
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Fenhorn

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 18:06

I am all for that. For example let people drink twice a day, plus one extra when sick or injured and plus one extra during a day of really hard labor.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rymdhamster

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 18:11

I really like this way of doing it. Makes a lot of sense.

I could see 1 roll per day just being for bedrest. Regular activity such as walking or regular work 2 rolls per day. Strainious activity such as fighting or carrying heavy loads could call for extra rolls.

Ebrim

Tue 21 Jul 2020, 20:51

Yeah my personal guideline is to keep it to one if they’re staying local. Have additional water checks with travel, combat, and heat.

I also think I’ll apply water and food checks to rest for the purpose of recovery.

I had a player get sick once and I was having him make a water check every quarter day.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.