gru
Topic Author

Making journey/camping dangerous

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 18:12

I think I am doing something wrong as a GM, because journeying and camping doesn't seem dangerous. During our last session the party spent 3-4 of days (and probably 3/4 of the session) just staying in one place in the wilderness and training/cooking. I failed at challenging them or making that part exciting, so I would like to try and figure out what I am doing wrong.

I tried to follow the journey rules: the party makes a pathfinding roll, we make an encounter roll and scouting check. Once they enter the hex and clear potential threat from the encounter, there aren't any challenging issues anymore. I don't see the guide suggesting any more encounters or traveling monsters. The hex becomes safe and as long as the party can forage/hunt, they can sustain themselves easily for a long time (they also have Chefs). Folks in my group are smart and resourceful, so they quickly cracked it and got into the safe state - but this doesn't drive interesting adventure events.

I tried to alleviate this somewhat by having additional encounter rolls at night, which makes the night somewhat tense. However, as soon as the night passes and the threat is cleared, we are back in the safe zone. Also, the encounters only happen 50% of the time and many are not really threatening.

Am I missing some rules or recommendations from the book? Are the mishaps/encounters the only mechanism intended to keep the journeying exciting or should I introduce things like wandering monsters, monster lairs or threatening mobs? I was under impression that FL has a fairly strict/abstract procedure for traveling and as long as I adhere to it, it will have intended level of danger. Is that not the case and I should just treat as a framework into which I should be plugging in additional events or threats?

Fenhorn

Re: Making journey/camping dangerous

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 18:33

The rule of thumb is that the GM rolls on the random encounter table once every Quarter Day while you HIKE, and once per day if you remain in the same hexagon.
So as long as the are Hiking, regardless if they are walking into an already explored are or not, there is an encounter roll every Quarter Day. When the group camp at evening and night (and not Hiking), you can roll for en encounter for that period with the once per day roll (two Quarter Days, rounded up to a day). This is just the suggested encounters. To this you have mishaps and also any encounters that you as a GM wants to add just because they fit the story or just because you just want a certain area to be more dangerous.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

gru
Topic Author

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 19:00

@Fenhorn: This is specifically about not hiking. The party is camping for a prolonged time in a single hex. How many encounters rolls should the party expect if they say in the camp for say 3 days? I would like to make it exciting and fair, so they can strategize around the risk. The mishaps are very infrequent and don't some consequential right now.

Fenhorn

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 20:12

The rules say that you roll once per day if the camp. But it is your job as a GM to make the game interesting. Just add an interesting encounter, perhaps an encounter that wants to know what the players are doing. Might be someone or even a monster that has been drawn to all the food that just has been hunted down in the area by some adventurers (principle 5 of the game). Don't be afraid to add events and encounters on your own if the players starts to feel to comfortable (principle 4 of the game).

gru
Topic Author

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 20:23

Ah, principles - need to reread these, that's a good point!

> The rules say that you roll once per day if the camp.

Can you point me to this?

Fenhorn

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 20:31

Ah, principles - need to reread these, that's a good point!

> The rules say that you roll once per day if the camp.

Can you point me to this?
Keep Watch p.147-150
It is on page 150 actually, that say that you roll for encounter "once per day if you remain in the same hexagon."

gru
Topic Author

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 20:59

Thanks, that helps!

Rymdhamster

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 21:00

Travelling and camping doesn't _have_ to be dangerous. Just thought I'd throw that out there =)

But I guess you want it to be, or you wouldn't have asked =D

Remember you don't neccecarily have to go with what the rules say (even though they seem to offer you support in this particular case). It's hard for a game writer to take all possible scenarios into account.

A bunch of people camping in one spot for a long time, cooking their food in the same place, washing their dirty dishes in the same creek over and over, would probably increase the risk for a bear or something to show up to investigate.

Also, having a fire day after day increases the risk for passers by to spott it. Could just be fellow travellers of course, but could also be bandits.

gru
Topic Author

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 01:23

It doesn't, but I am playing this game because it promises dangerous journeying. If I wanted safe travel, I wouldn't be using all the mechanics for the journey, that just rolling a lot of dice for no reason.

Fenhorn

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 02:03

It doesn't, but I am playing this game because it promises dangerous journeying. If I wanted safe travel, I wouldn't be using all the mechanics for the journey, that just rolling a lot of dice for no reason.
It is dangerous, but it is the GM's and the players responsibility to make that happen. If the players are just sitting there like some happy campers, then not much will happen. I must ask, aren't they suppose to adventure, don't they have somewhere to go, princesses to rescue, gold to be find? A Journey is not just one hex, it is multiple hexes, including adventure sites. It is the GM's job to fill the world with interesting things and foes for the players to find.

In all my 40 sessions, my players have been close to death on each of their journeys. Why? Because they do things, they have found interesting treasures, they have built a stronghold. They have, because of this, also created enemies (and allies). My job as a GM when I prep. a session is to come up with what kind of monsters and cultures lives where they players are at the moment and write down some notes on what these monsters and cultures are doing. I also have a bigger "campaign clock" with the various key characters (from the campaign). All these things creates a tension in the game, pretty much wherever the players are. Games don't play themselves, you have to put some effort in and not only the GM, the players as well.

The rules say that you aren't suppose to roll too often (p.44). That can also be good to keep in mind.