gru
Topic Author

Initiative when starting at a short distance

Thu 09 Jul 2020, 17:34

If the combat starts at the short distance, is the party with higher initiative at a loss (assuming they don't have ranged weapons)? They need to spend their two actions to move closer, but can't attack afterwards. Then the second party can directly attack, taking advantage of having lower initiative. This means that starting the game at a short (or longer) distance would lead to stand-off, where neithe party would like to advance and risk getting hit right away. How do you solve this?

Does it mean that traveling with ranged weapons is critical for any band of adventurers (and humanoid enemies too)? In an open field carrying bows/spears seems critical to taking out the enemy fast and greatly reducing the value of hand weapons.

Fenhorn

Re: Initiative when starting at a short distance

Thu 09 Jul 2020, 17:43

Oh, yes, that happens in our game a lot, especially if neither side have ranged weapons. Both sides moves slowly towards each other.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

gru
Topic Author

Re: Initiative when starting at a short distance

Thu 09 Jul 2020, 19:40

Hmm.. Perhaps this is intended? Maybe one side can try Taunting the other, forcing them to attack?

I am fairly sure that my party will immediately start traveling all equipped with bows as soon as they realize that (I would too). Does this change the game from tactical melee combat into ranged exchanges?