gru
Topic Author

Re: Pushing journey rolls?

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 07:01

@hperantunes: Doesn't the game lose part of its flavor this way? Why not just switch to: you reach your destination after X days if all rolls are considered successful (or just pepper the travel with some encounters)?

hperantunes

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 07:15

@hperantunes: Doesn't the game lose part of its flavor this way? Why not just switch to: you reach your destination after X days if all rolls are considered successful (or just pepper the travel with some encounters)?

I like to describe the setting and add little touches to each new hex the group visits, like the ruins of an abandoned farm, the tracks of a wild animal, or the rotten body of a traveller pierced by orc arrows.

Ebrim

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 19:54

We don't push journey rolls. There are a bunch of reasons for this but more relevant to right now I want to bring up the principle Fenhorn brought up earlier: "You're not supposed to roll often." Journey rolls clearly violate this principle and so it's not terribly difficult for me to treat them different mechanically because they are different mechanically already.

Eldskägg

Wed 15 Jul 2020, 11:02

I allow pushing but only have one roll per day (unless they fail it, then they can try again but have lost that quarter day) and also only do camp rolls if there is something external that makes camping difficult such as bad weather for example.

I did the opposite of adjusting the rules around journeys and made the journey rules follow the mantra of "don't roll too often".

Ebrim

Wed 15 Jul 2020, 16:09

I allow pushing but only have one roll per day (unless they fail it, then they can try again but have lost that quarter day) and also only do camp rolls if there is something external that makes camping difficult such as bad weather for example.

I did the opposite of adjusting the rules around journeys and made the journey rules follow the mantra of "don't roll too often".
That’s an interesting take. Would definitely work well if you want to de-emphasize the survival gameplay or abridge a significant travel leg. I like it.

Konungr

Wed 15 Jul 2020, 17:26

It is an interesting take. Going in the opposite direction from most people I have seen who want to make a change. My only concern is that it reduce the opportunity for events.

One of the things I like best about Forbidden Lands is that the random events kind of build a campaign and story naturally by provoking the players to make decisions. Stripping away those opportunities can make things less interesting at the table. But then maybe it will just focuses up where the activities are. Either way it is an interesting idea.