Spiraller

Re: Regarding Skill checks and also Healing

Tue 07 Jul 2020, 02:03

To stop a PC from dying (because the critical injury is lethal) is a separate skill roll than the skill roll to make them recover from being broken. The rules state that a skill roll can only be made once per situation and that you can only make another skill roll if the circumstances changes. It also states that if a character fails, another character may try. So this means that every character can try to make a skill roll for a certain situation once. There can be some exploits here so the GM has to say stop if that happens. Rules like the Group roll is one such method.
Suppose there are four PCs in a combat encounter. One of them is broken. Can the following happen in a single round of combat?

1. Player A heals the critical injury to stop player D from dying.
2. Player B heals the broken condition and helps player D gain attribute points.
3. Player C heals player D to reduce healing time.

Fenhorn

Tue 07 Jul 2020, 05:19

To stop a PC from dying (because the critical injury is lethal) is a separate skill roll than the skill roll to make them recover from being broken. The rules state that a skill roll can only be made once per situation and that you can only make another skill roll if the circumstances changes. It also states that if a character fails, another character may try. So this means that every character can try to make a skill roll for a certain situation once. There can be some exploits here so the GM has to say stop if that happens. Rules like the Group roll is one such method.
Suppose there are four PCs in a combat encounter. One of them is broken. Can the following happen in a single round of combat?

1. Player A heals the critical injury to stop player D from dying.
2. Player B heals the broken condition and helps player D gain attribute points.
3. Player C heals player D to reduce healing time.

Sure, about 3 though, since healing time is in x number of days, using Heal for Care isn't something that is done in the middle of a combat. When it comes to 1 and 2, it doesn't matter in what order you do them. You could heal the broken condition first, so the character is up and going, but dying and then try to stop him from dying and if the dying character is not broken, he can even do that himself (with -2 I think it was).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

d(sqrt(-1))
Topic Author

Tue 07 Jul 2020, 12:50

Hm, that's interesting - I must admit that I read the rules as saying that if Broken you either:

- receive Healing, recover Attribute points. or
- take 1d6 hours, recover and then regain 1 attribute point

For Death, if Lethal you must receive Healing. If you recovered yourself then you can try to Heal at -2.

I took that to mean that a Healing roll is required to prevent death by Lethal injury, but it could be the same Healing roll that restored Attribute points and removed Broken (because they have obviously resolved whatever the problem was). If you recovered yourself then no Healing roll had been made so obviously that would need a Heal roll to avoid death. It seems a bit odd that if you are Healed by someone that requires 2 rolls (remove Broken and avoid Death), whereas if you recover by yourself it's only one roll.

Obviously the long term roll for long term healing is completely separate from these.

Ebrim

Wed 15 Jul 2020, 23:58

Back to the original idea I think the way to rule this from a RAW perspective is:

Person A wants to try to heal. If they succeed, great. If they fail, then something bad happens. A couple options I’d immediately reach for:
1) Someone else can try but now it’s much harder, -2 or -3.
2)Nobody else can try in this situation.
3) Fail forward and add a disease roll or they fail AND there’s a disease.

Ultimately the players should be incentivized to try their hardest to try and only make one roll under the best possible circumstances they can muster.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Tywyll

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 10:50

Except that bit is in the section talking about Recovery and says "The fastest way to recover from being Broken is for someone else to treat you by SUCCESSFULLY rolling for healing. You immediately recover a number of points in the broken attribute equal to the 6s rolled. Further Healing rolls have no effect, and the same person can only roll once"

So all that is referring to the effects of a successful Healing roll. The reason further Healing doesn't have any effect is the same as the fact that you can't Heal someone who is not Broken. You have to take the context into account.
None of that states that another person can try the roll. A failed roll doesn't necesarily mean that the person can't do it, but it can mean that the situation is unfixable.

I'll grant you that the wording is unclear, but emphasizing the 'successfully' doesn't mean that you keep rolling till you get a successful roll, it just points out the obvious point that a failed roll isn't going to help you recover. The roll needs to be successful to fix you. I think that is again an issue with it being a translation.