Hello! A buddy of mine had picked-up Forbidden Lands a while back, and he recently introduced it to me. We’re getting a group together now to play, likely through Roll20. I've been reading through the rules diligently, and I LOVE the atmosphere and fresh approach to character building and a different rule set (we’ve played a lot of D&D). That said, I do have a few questions (some specific, some general) I thought this forum might be able to help answer to make sure our first session goes as well as possible. (-:
1) The combat system seems a little daunting after coming from playing D&D - any tips/tricks to help keep it simple and/or flow well when we have our first encounter?
2) I personally love the idea of the Peddler class and playing a diplomatic character, but I have some concerns - are Peddlers able to hold their own in a fight? Items seem useful, but does their access to gold and items do enough to make them a valuable member of a party? I just don't want to be playing all for flavor text only to be slaughtered in the first encounter. lol
3) Are there talents and/or skills that a party would really miss if they weren't present? For instance, it seems like healing is in such small supply that a party might be seriously disadvantaged if they didn't have someone with dedicated healing skills. Are there other skills/abilities that a party should really make sure they have covered?
4) Are there any weak/broken talents and/or skills that either need to be buffed or potentially nerfed? Given the rough-and-tumble vibe the game gives off, we're a little less concerned with things being a little overpowered, I'm more concerned with avoiding anything that would under-perform to a high enough degree that it makes it harder to have fun.
5) Are there any tips/tricks you wish you would have heard before your first session that would have made it better?
Thank you for any and all help y'all can provide! (-: