Spiraller
Topic Author

Anyone tried nerfing Lucky 3?

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 18:36

I was thinking of forcing a player with Lucky 3 to pick a different critical injury if they already have one. This would happen if a player is down and gets attacked again. Wouldn't make sense if they keep getting a bleeding forehead again and again.

Ebrim

Re: Anyone tried nerfing Lucky 3?

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 20:57

I’m tempted to limit both Lucky and Executioner to just one rank each where you can flip the roll and they cancel each other. Like MYZ or Vaesen. Probably change the cost to 6 for either.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Fenhorn

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 21:24

I’m tempted to limit both Lucky and Executioner to just one rank each where you can flip the roll and they cancel each other. Like MYZ or Vaesen. Probably change the cost to 6 for either.
That actually is a very good idea.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

lupex

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 21:42

I’m not worried about lucky 3, as I do give some NPCs up to Executioner 2, counteracts this. I’m happy for a player to avoid serious injury as they have invested in the talent but I agree they can’t take a critical injury that no longer makes sense. Eg one player chose the white hair critical from the horror table, he now has white hair so can’t choose it again.

Fenhorn

Fri 26 Jun 2020, 22:00

In my group it is mostly me that worries about this but none of my players have taken Lucky or Executioner so far (13+27 long sessions). They talk about it but they always find something else that is more important. In the last handful of sessions, they have spent over half of their xp in skill levels and non-combat talents.

Spiraller
Topic Author

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 20:12

Want to clarify something with you guys. Luck 3 does not prevent a monster from killing the PC or a humanoid villain from dealing them a coup de grace, am I right?

Ebrim

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 20:54

Want to clarify something with you guys. Luck 3 does not prevent a monster from killing the PC or a humanoid villain from dealing them a coup de grace, am I right?
Nope, if you're helpless, they just outright kill you if they choose to.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Spiraller
Topic Author

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 20:57

And how would you square this with that's written on page 7 of the GM's Guide?

"As GM, you should basically never kill a defenseless player character."

Fenhorn

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 21:41

And how would you square this with that's written on page 7 of the GM's Guide?

"As GM, you should basically never kill a defenseless player character."
You should probably read the entire paragraph (or chapter even). As a GM you shouldn't just kill a defenseless PC, but the player wasn't defenseless when he tried to kill the monster (just before he become broken and defenseless). The GM should play the monsters. Should a monster not eat just because that page 7 had said something. That chapter is a guideline how to GM this game, but if a player is in a battle with a monster he know the risks. It would be a very strange game, if the player could stand there and say "it is ok for me to become broken because in our game, the GM doesn't kill defenseless PCs".

Then, playing the monster here, unless the monster is big enough to swallow a human whole, the monster would probably try to grab the defenseless PC and escape with him, so he (or she) could eat the PC later in his (her) lair.

Rymdhamster

Tue 30 Jun 2020, 22:18

I was thinking of forcing a player with Lucky 3 to pick a different critical injury if they already have one. This would happen if a player is down and gets attacked again. Wouldn't make sense if they keep getting a bleeding forehead again and again.
That's a verry interessting way to do it! Means rank 3 is still very good for players who really like their character (not everyone enjoys lethality), but it will force them to be a little bit cautious and maybe make a hard choice every once in a while.