Konungr
Topic Author

Medical Aid - Proposed Rule

Mon 25 May 2020, 15:46

Medical Aid. in the book says...

"If you are cared for by someone during your sickness, this person can roll your sickness rolls instead of you. The healer rolls for HEALING against the Virulence of the disease. Healing potions can give a bonus to the roll. The NATURE’S CURE (see page 123) spell is also very effective against disease."

I don't like this for a few reasons.
1) it only relates to diseases. I feel like it could apply to poisons as well.
2) Someones empathy + Healing roll could be worse than your strength + endurance at which point any medical help just doesn't help because your just tough? Or something?

Here is what I propose.

When attempting Medical Aid to help against Disease the character makes a HEALING roll. The successes of the healing roll becomes bonus dice on your next ENDURANCE roll to resist the disease. Further HEALING rolls in the same day have no effect and each person may only attempt to make a HEALING roll once a day. When attempting Medical Aid against a poison the character makes a HEALING roll against the poisons Potency. Attempting Medical Aid for poison takes a full round. If the HEALING roll wins the POISONED character suffers the limited effect and then the poison ends. If the roll fails the poisoned character suffers the Full Effect and the poison continues. Each person may only attempt to make a HEALING roll once. If a character attempts to provide Medical Aid to themselves they do so at a -2 penalty. Attempting Medical Aid is a Slow Action in combat.

1) it allows medical aid to work in more situations.
2) it stacks with the targets natural endurance and toughness.
3) you can take time to try to help yourself (purging an ingested poison?).
4) Over all I think a more interesting mechanic.

Thoughts?

Ebrim

Re: Medical Aid - Proposed Rule

Mon 25 May 2020, 17:00

Why not just in those cases have the healer be a helper? Adding +1 to the endurance roll? But I feel like it’d only be valid if the helper had points in the healing skill.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Konungr
Topic Author

Mon 25 May 2020, 19:04

Because with poison there is no time for medical aid to be a helper. You roll once to resist the poison when you are poisoned Then you take either the limited or full effect. Your options at that point are antidote (effect ends) or you are eventually broken.

This allows a "healer" to intervene between the full effect and the breaking to try and stave off the poison.

Meanwhile the disease has 1 roll a day. The medical aid instead of acting as a helper and providing a single die roll commits time (maybe this should be 1/4 day?) at some point during the day and to then boost your roll at the end of the day. It's more interesting to allow a person with a high empathy and medical skill to provide potentially multiple bonus dice instead of a single automatic die because they are a "helper".

Tywyll

Tue 26 May 2020, 10:30

I have mixed feelings on this.

Someone injured by a disease, with no END skill, down to 1 Str meets a healer with an 8 die pool. In the RAW, they now get to resist death with 8 dice, while in your version they get maybe +1 or +2 dice to the roll, so they are much more likely to die if they are at the end of their rope then with the RAW.

As with poisons...what exactly can a healer do? Considering this is gritty fantasy, there is almost nothing a person can do (at these technological levels) to help with an injected poison. Purging some ingensted poisons is worse then just letting the body fight it. I guess I'm wondering what, in fiction, the healer is doing to help someone who is poisoned? In high fantasy I'm more likely to give this a pass (nigh magical herbs or alchemy) but Raven Lands doesn't give me that vibe.

Konungr
Topic Author

Tue 26 May 2020, 11:35

Thanks for the replies. If a person suffers under a disease until they are on the verge of death it's unlikely they will recover. Yes. Correct. That kind of makes sense. The help is too little too late. Better than medical aid doing nothing at the begining of the disease because the str+end roll is better so just suck it up. That makes even less sense.

As for poison, the game doesn't really differentiate poisons and antidotes like real life either. It doesn't emulate reality with that kind of nuance so I wasn't too worried about providing nuance for the aid. Someone with the HEALING skill has some knowledge of what to do to help neutralize or at least slow the toxin so that the person can survive. Unlike the antidote it doesn't end the effect flat out. It switches it to the lesser effect so the poison still gets one last jab in as it goes. It's just an option for SOMETHING which is, imo, better then nothing.

Ebrim

Tue 26 May 2020, 16:17

The healer attending doesn’t do nothing in that case, they add a help dice. :p
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Konungr
Topic Author

Tue 26 May 2020, 20:17

The healer attending doesn’t do nothing in that case, they add a help dice. :p
Read the rules for poison and medical aid. There is no roll for them to add help dice too.

Ebrim

Wed 27 May 2020, 14:38

Sure, I’m talking about disease. There’s really nothing you could do for poison anyway generally unless you have an antidote.

I guess two other things to consider is that if the character gets sick then their strength will drop potentially changing the calculus of endurance vs healer’s ability. The other thing is that I can see the healer being allowed to push their roll but I don’t allow endurance checks vs cold/disease/poison to be pushed (it’s like passive scout).