Tywyll
Topic Author

Keeping Watch during Sleep

Thu 21 May 2020, 10:14

Sleeping in the wilderness is supposed to be dangerous and the book recommends that you keep watch. However, random encounters are only rolled for when you enter the hex. When/how do night time encounters occur? Or are you just supposed to roll whenever they sleep (it doesn't actually say this AFAICT)?

Fenhorn

Re: Keeping Watch during Sleep

Thu 21 May 2020, 11:42

You also roll once per day if they stay in the same hex. So if your players move for two quarter days and then stay in the same hex for the other two quarter days, you could roll one time for each quarter day they moved and one time for the two quarter days the stayed in the same hex.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Tywyll
Topic Author

Thu 21 May 2020, 12:12

Ah see, I interpretted 'day' in the literal sense there, not in the 2 QD=a Work Day.
But, assuming you are correct, wouldn't that mean that in the summer you never have a roll at night, since you only spend a QD asleep?

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 21 May 2020, 12:21

Ah see, I interpretted 'day' in the literal sense there, not in the 2 QD=a Work Day.
But, assuming you are correct, wouldn't that mean that in the summer you never have a roll at night, since you only spend a QD asleep?
I think, this is one opportune moment to flex your GM muscles....

silverfoxdmt73

Thu 21 May 2020, 12:24

Personally, I would maybe change the rate that you roll based on how hazardous you as GM determine the hex to be. Maybe not RAW, but if you are in a hex close to a 'safe' populated area I would roll less than if you were in the middle of the wilderness near to a dungeon/monster lair etc.

I think there should be some amount of "it's up to you" when you want to roll for random encounters rather than sticking to the RAW for that. If you think your adventurers are having too easy a time dealing with things, then throw in a couple of unexpected encounters when they are camping just to keep them on their toes.

pytheas

Thu 21 May 2020, 12:41

The way I interpret the encounter rules is that you roll for an encounter whenever the players enter a new hex (or stay put for a whole day) but the GM is free to use that encounter at any time while the players remain in that hex. So am encounter rolled when entering the hex where the players make camp could well happen while everyone is asleep.

If my players decided that it wasn't worth keeping watch I would also feel free to introduce a (not so random) encounter to convince them otherwise.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Thu 21 May 2020, 12:50

It's not that they've noticed this fault in the rules, so they are keeping watch as normal. It's been me as the GM running it and being like, "Oh, hang on a minute...".

I don't want to overwhelm them with encounters, but at the same time, I don't want the game to abstractly give them a free 'out'. As GM of course I can throw whatever I want at them, but before I start that I just want to make sure I have a handle on the RAW.

Ebrim

Thu 21 May 2020, 15:12

I’d think of it like this:

The default guideline is once per day when they’re stationary but you decide in which QD to roll for that “day”. It could be the first. They don’t need to be stationary for an entire day before you roll.
Last edited by Ebrim on Thu 21 May 2020, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

Addramyr

Thu 21 May 2020, 18:24

The way I experienced the game, when they make camp there's usually plenty of opportunities to have an encounter if they get a mishap (it's like a mini encounter). Like you said, I don't what to overwhelmed them with encounters so if a mishap happens I don't roll for encounters (unless I feel like one would be fun).

Ebrim

Thu 21 May 2020, 18:42

I probably roll a bit less frequently than the guideline suggests. But my game also tends to have more mishaps.