Lawdog
Topic Author

Willpower Generation and general gameplay

Fri 15 May 2020, 17:52

Hi everyone, first post here.

I just started a new game and on our first day I suggested to our party that we go out, gather resources such as wood, food, water which will give us all a chance to get some willpower points before heading immediately to an adventure site. My GM said that you are not supposed to farm willpower points and frowned on this general plan. Generally I am treating Willpower points as a resource that we need to manage to survive in the game, not sure if I have the wrong take on this system.

My question are:
Should I treat willpower points as a manageable resource?

Should I not try to get willpower points by hunting/forging, (when we mess up these things we do get punished from the mishap table)?

For context I am a elf druid with with a healing focus (and a disease that will kill me in 1 day due to lack of willpower points).

Konungr

Re: Willpower Generation and general gameplay

Fri 15 May 2020, 18:16

As a person in the world you need food water and wood to survive. Willpower is a thing that does not exist in character. Suggesting to the other players that you go try to farm will power is meta gaming and goes against the basic principles of a role playing game.

While the rules do allow you to push those rolls and thus could "farm willpower" there are many GMs on here who don't allow pushing those roles unless the consequences are immediately dire (you are starving and need to forage for food or begin to waste away and die, you need fuel for fire or the cold will kill you.. etc etc...).

If you character would suggest the first part then thats all cool. But the second part I would also frown upon.

Lawdog
Topic Author

Fri 15 May 2020, 20:25

Hey thanks for the reply! Very helpful!

I talked to our GM about it and we are figuring it out. One question that he had done some research on and didn't find anything easily on the internet was: How many willpower points do players get during a session on average?

I think he and I would really appreciate any input from other groups on their experience there. I believe we understand that it's a narrative thing in the game, but I assume there is a happy balance of the fun of using your class abilities and making sure every WP spent is a tactical decision.

Ebrim

Fri 15 May 2020, 22:05

I’m one of those GMs who don’t allow pushing on journey rolls.

It’s hard for me to say what an average WP gain for a session is. They tend to vary a lot. Fighting tends to be both the biggest source of, and sink of WP. That said, WP shortage is unlikely to be something that you’ll face. Eventually you’ll be in a dangerous or critical situation where you’ll have to push a roll and you’ll take some damage.

My players tend to hover around 5wp or less after a session but rarely have 0.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Konungr

Fri 15 May 2020, 22:38

As above, combat itself fuels willpower while also eating it up the fastest. Try to think of it less as a resource you need to stock up on before a fight and more bonuses you gain while fighting that can then be spent to fuel a bunch of stuff.

The biggest hang up I have seen is players playing sorcerer or druid who expect to play traditional mage spell casters and then realize they don't have a near endless font of willpower to draw on. That "wizard" thing doesn't exist in forbidden lands. It's closer to Conan where even Thulsa Doom has a big sword while turning things into snakes. Or even consider Gandalf, who rides into battle with his own elven sword in one hand and his staff in the other. He's not chucking fireballs all over the place. He's mostly fighting with everyone else and doing some magic to supplement. Get the casters over that hump and you will find everyone engaging with the mechanics more.

Ebrim

Sat 16 May 2020, 01:35

Konungr has the right of it. Magic should be saved for when you really need it. Until you’re quite skilled even “minor” magic is risky. Powerful magic is always risky. Better to have other ways to support the party, survival knowledge, some points in healing or manipulation, a point here or there in melee or ranged.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Konungr

Sat 16 May 2020, 03:32

If it helps to equate it to a video game, warriors in wow dont enter combat with rage. They build rage as they fight which then fuels their powers. It helps to think of willpower in that way except instead of a fight its an adventure. You adventure and from adventuring gain willpower which you then spend and then regenerate. Its a constant flux. Not something you horde like money.

Tywyll

Mon 18 May 2020, 10:54

We are 3 sessions into the game. So far, players have earned between 0-4 WP in a session. It's been more around 2 but also to be fair, the only combat they've been in so far has been murdering an old woman, so that might have something to do with it.

As a GM though I absolutely wouldn't allow players to farm WP.