djday51
Topic Author

Can You Increase Attributes?

Tue 12 May 2020, 13:04

The rules mention STARTING attribute scores, but in the experience section it does not mention being able to increase attributes, only skills or talents.

Are they fixed at character gen? or have I missed it?

lupex

Re: Can You Increase Attributes?

Tue 12 May 2020, 13:32

Attributes can’t be increased, but can be decreased if the PC ages too much.

It calls out STARTING attribute scores as due to pushing and damage the CURRENT attribute scores fluctuate.

Ebrim

Tue 12 May 2020, 15:50

The rules mention STARTING attribute scores, but in the experience section it does not mention being able to increase attributes, only skills or talents.

Are they fixed at character gen? or have I missed it?
Attributes can only go down. You’ll never be as naturally strong, agile, good-looking, and clever as you were when you were young. Harsh realities. ;)

If it makes you feel better, young characters aren’t as skilled and skill dice are better anyway.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

michael

Tue 12 May 2020, 17:59

If there ever was an interest from my players I'd probably allow attributes to be raised a step or two. 10 exp as the base cost maybe, then multiplied by "rank"? 2 ⇢ 3 would be 30 exp for example.

I'm sure the point can be made that exercise or practice (exp) should go toward raising skills as there are skills that in other games could be an ability in themselves (such as "Move" or "Might"). But I can't see how allowing this would break anything except making the players a little bit more durable when using a skill has failed them.
"To fall in hell, or soar angelic, you need a pinch of psychedelic."

Ebrim

Tue 12 May 2020, 22:20

It would mess a bit with an intentional design choice so I’d be cautious. Would you allow it for an old character as much as a young one? For the same price or more?
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 13 May 2020, 09:48

This topic was discussed here as well: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=5402