djday51
Topic Author

Real Earth Archetypes

Tue 12 May 2020, 01:45

I am trying to get my head round the various Human groups in the setting and I am having a hard time visualizing them in any detail.
Would you say any of them have elements of real world nations or countries from history? if so which?

Ebrim

Re: Real Earth Archetypes

Tue 12 May 2020, 05:47

I am trying to get my head round the various Human groups in the setting and I am having a hard time visualizing them in any detail.
Would you say any of them have elements of real world nations or countries from history? if so which?
Erik Granström has said in the past that for a lot of these cultures he'll take two historical samples and then mash them up. For example, if I remember right, he says the Aslene are largely inspired by a mix of Parthian and Scythian. I'm not aware if he's ever said so directly what the special recipe is for the Alderlanders or Ailanders.

My personal take on them is that the Ailanders are more like the Atlantic peoples of Europe like Northwestern Spain or the Western Isles of Britain. I imagine them pretty sparsely settled, I feel like there are quite a few sheep around, fishing is important. Away from real examples they're also culturally most affected by the Elves and Elvenspring of the other human groups.

Alderlanders come from a much more civilized (in the literal sense) background. We know that Alderland in the south is sort of more of a proper kingdom and has at least one major city. This is a society that probably looks closest to what we imagine of early feudal states. The Alderlanders in Ravenland obviously haven't lived like that in centuries now but it likely still affects them culturally in some ways. We know that they still think of the home across the mountains to the south.

That all being said, I don't think the idea is to draw too heavily on any single inspiration. Use what works for your game and the stories that you and your players want to tell. The beauty of this setting is that it's not too much. It's enough to be evocative and give some ideas but not everything is spelled out and you have tons of room to maneuver. (there's also plenty of room for the world to be expanded, one day we'll know much more about Aslene and Alderland)
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Tywyll

Tue 12 May 2020, 11:06

One thing I really wish we had for the different humans was some physical descriptions. Are Ailanders fair and Alderlanders dark? Are they Aslene olive skinned? Like, how big was the ethnic diversisty of Alderland? I'd really like to know.

Can an Ailander and a Alderlander tell each other apart on sight or by speech?

Eldhierta

Tue 12 May 2020, 12:22

Since Ailanders and Alderlanders originally came on the same ships and only divided due to religious schism it would stand to reason that they share many, if not all, characteristics. Might be able to tell them apart by how they dress though. I would say that Ailanders dress more practically and utilitarian while Alderlanders are much more concerned with fashion and keeping up appearances.

Tywyll

Tue 12 May 2020, 13:43

Since Ailanders and Alderlanders originally came on the same ships and only divided due to religious schism it would stand to reason that they share many, if not all, characteristics. Might be able to tell them apart by how they dress though. I would say that Ailanders dress more practically and utilitarian while Alderlanders are much more concerned with fashion and keeping up appearances.
That depends on how big the race was when they came across the sea. We don't know the size of the landmass they escaped from and they could very easily have had different ethnicities. The religion might have split along ethnic lines. But the setting is silent on it, so it could easily be either way.

Ebrim

Tue 12 May 2020, 15:35

The GMG describes the Aslene as having “various skin tones, always with a healthy luster” compared to the Alderlanders. They also typically braid their hair with both men and women having artful hair styles.

I would imagine then that Alderlanders and Ailanders tend to be paler. That said though there may well be other populations among them from other backgrounds. There’s plenty of narrative room to include all sorts of human looks. It may well be that there were indigenous humans on this side of the sea as well. Creation myths are rarely literal objective truth.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Eldhierta

Wed 13 May 2020, 16:28

That depends on how big the race was when they came across the sea. We don't know the size of the landmass they escaped from and they could very easily have had different ethnicities. The religion might have split along ethnic lines. But the setting is silent on it, so it could easily be either way.
Of course. I imagine the Alderlanders and Ailanders to both be of varied ethnicities, which would make it even harder to tell them apart if both peoples were made up of a multi-coloured palette. While the religions might have split along ethnic lines there is no indication of it in either religion, AFAIR. The split seems to be more of a theological one, though.

Ebrim

Wed 13 May 2020, 16:41

I think the biggest difference between Ailanders and Alderlanders is that they split from each other originally over religious reasons. But that set them on separate cultural trajectories for hundreds of years. They would largely look similar though there’s probably been more mixing with Aslenes among Ailanders.

So while Ailanders were few and living in Eastern Ravenland they would have developed relevant cultural aspects. They also would have had more influence from Elves, Elvenspring, and Dwarves. Alderlanders I feel would be more hierarchical coming from something more akin to a Feudal society with more intensive agriculture. And the more recent history of Alderlanders in Ravenland before the Blood Mist put them squarely in the worst conflict zones in the Southwest, like Harga.

Just_Dave

Sat 20 Jun 2020, 03:39

Would it be unbalanced to allow for modifiers to differentiate the human cultures? It's easy to say that Aslene should get a bonus to a riding skill but what about the other cultures?

Ebrim

Sun 21 Jun 2020, 00:09

Would it be unbalanced to allow for modifiers to differentiate the human cultures? It's easy to say that Aslene should get a bonus to a riding skill but what about the other cultures?
With base character generation I wouldn’t do that. But with the lifepath system in the Adventurers pamphlet you get that in effect. Aslene, Alderlander, and Ailander childhood tables are significantly different but still allow for considerable variation within the cultures as well.