djday51
Topic Author

Languages

Sun 10 May 2020, 14:55

Im very new to the game and apologies if this has been covered already, but could someone give me an overview of the Languages spoken and written in the Forbidden lands? and am I correct in thinking that the Lore skill would cover language use, understanding and learning? is their a common type of language such as Trade Talk in Runequest?

Rgds
Dean

Ebrim

Re: Languages

Sun 10 May 2020, 15:31

I don’t think language is ever really dealt with.

It can be a fun thing to introduce languages to make the world feel more rich or mysterious in places but it also has the risk of closing down some interactions if you take it too far. I like the idea of using lore to decipher more ancient dialects or maybe get a clue into what text in a different language is saying though.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

djday51
Topic Author

Mon 11 May 2020, 14:01

So each Kin does not have its own language? or has this not just been stated yet? Lore is the only skill I can see which would apply really. Maybe create a general talent called Linguist? making it possible to learn or understand other languages. So am I correct then in assuming the default of the game that there is a common tongue of some sort?

Mr Oldtimer

Mon 11 May 2020, 14:22

This has been discussed here as well [Language][/viewtopic.php?f=79&t=3849]

Ebrim

Mon 11 May 2020, 16:05

I don’t think there’s any reason to assume each Kin would have a separate language. They’ve lived among each other for far too long. The only Kin I imagine actually have separate languages are Dwarves and Elves due to the very different circumstances of their mythological origins. And it’s probably a form of the language of the Elves that serves as the basis for the language everyone speaks. I feel like the separate Dwarven language would probably be more ritualistic and religious in the current time of the setting than for common use.

Depending on what you think the origin of Orcs actually is you might think they have a separate language though probably lost now for millennia. Could be an interesting thing to find in the halls of the Winter Elves in the Bitter Reach.

Humans likely had a different language to begin with having come from across the sea but as they become more entwined with the Elves (creating the Frailers and Elvenspring) they’ve probably lost most of it. Perhaps they still have some funny words though that speak to their heritage. That may be strongest among the Aslene.

All this is guesses though based on the excellent setting. The objective “truth” of a lot of this just doesn’t exist. That’s part of what makes it such a great rpg setting. You have a lot to work with but aren’t super constrained by the setting as well.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Tywyll

Tue 12 May 2020, 13:41

I would assume human language and elven language would be very different, as humans came across the sea and invaded. Ailanders might have adapted to elven language somewhat or even embraced it fully, but Alderlanders would certainly be speaking their own elder tongue.

Ebrim

Tue 12 May 2020, 16:39

An interesting approach would be to conclude that languages more or less melded after the shift with all these populations in frequent contact. Perhaps there are some older, more ritualistic languages remaining among some kin but are more specialized than general knowledge with some lost to history.

One can simply imagine that most everyone understands everyone (with the obvious exception of male orcs who nobody understands). Apply languages where they make sense narratively. A Dwarf may well know something of an ancient Dwarf language. For others a Lore check can be used to get clues from text. They can’t read it but perhaps recognize some symbols or text?

If a player character spends years immersed with another language environment you can just assume they’ve developed a working knowledge of it.

And then there are dialects and accents abound!

Brior

Tue 12 May 2020, 19:11

Having written the setting I'd say that languages are basically just something that hasn't been adressed that much yet. We could have done it, sure, but we could have done a lot of things and perhaps we'll some day do them. It's more been a priority thing.

That said, I would assume that there is a pretty much widespread ”Common tongue”, probaby affected by dwarven, elven and human languages. This is what you speak when you try to communicate with those of other background. It's understood basically everywhere. The common tongue might however not be a proper language as we percieve it, but more of a pidgin language, a mix, with a base of perhaps 50% recognizable ”common” words and 50% local words joined together by a simplified and fleeting grammar. So when you listen to a stranger, you listen for the parts you recognize and try to patch the rest together into coherent information. People in Ravenland thus wouldn't expect a language, but look for communication with whatever means they have in common – hence ”common language”. If we were to have linguistics as a talent, perhaps that would be flexibility in expression and the ability to understand a lot of variation, rather than ”learning”, since there isn't anything to learn.

Concerning humans, alderlanders and ailanders came from overseas. The aslenes didn't, but the spoken human tongue in Ravenland is probably a mix of the two groups of languages. During the isolation, lots of local dialects and words arose.

Elven language might not necessarily have the ”Tolkienesque” notion of being noble and staying the same over time. The Ravenland elves might actually distrust language as such, since it never amounts to more than a simple approximation of reality, leading your thoughts and perceptions away from what actually is to the ready-made pictures in your head. I wouldn't be surprised if they distrust language and use it only as an evil necessity. They might aim more at mindfulness and perceptivity. Also they might aim for a personalized style in expression. Perhaps they tire of too-well known words and replace these when they get too watered down? ”Today I will call a 'horse' a 'door' for a change!”

Dwarves probably have the most stable language, a very practical tongue based in their ancient religious beliefs and crafts.

Ebrim

Tue 12 May 2020, 22:09

That’s exactly the sort of reply I was hoping we’d get if we kept talking about this long enough! Thanks Brior!

I suspected that may have been the case with the Aslene, that they may have been more indigenous, really looking forward to that expansion.

djday51
Topic Author

Wed 13 May 2020, 00:15

Thanks Brior, so I would not be too out of line in making a Linguist talent perhaps for pcs that wanted to go down the lore of languages and dialects of the Forbidden Lands?