Tywyll
Topic Author

Re: Replacing the Warrior's Other Talent

Tue 12 May 2020, 11:07

Minstrel has a 'taunt' type of ability? Already Talents for each major weapon types? Already a Brawler Talent, Ambidextrous....

How about something that gives bonus for wearing different types of armour? Or is that too bland?

Like,
Rank 1: +1 Gear bonus for wearing Leather (or Studded) armour.
Rank 2: +1 Gear bonus for wearing chain or Plate.
Rank 3: Or +1d8 Artefact Die for any armour type in addition to the bonuses for Ranks 1 and 2.
That feels more Generic to me (Riders/Knights should definitely have access to it). Also it doesn't rely on WP so it doesn't fit the Class Talent Archetype.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Tue 12 May 2020, 11:10

A tactician path would be interesting. Treat it like the captain role in Coriolis. Where the fighter presumably barks orders for her comrades and can generate a success pool her allies can use in combat/stressful situations.

Spend a wp, roll manipulate as a slow action and the successes that come up become a pool for offense at rank 1.

At rank 2 the pool can be used for defense/evasion as well.

At rank 3 it could be applied to all tests where planning and organization would help.

Something to that effect. Successes pool vanishes after the particular situation is resolved.

**Edit** Melee could be used rather than manipulation depending on whether or not you want to reinforce synergy or different fighter types.**
I don't think I'd make it a roll at all but just make it spend 1 WP per +1, like the Warcry Hymn already does. Maybe like Champions limit it to 3 or something?

Ebrim

Tue 12 May 2020, 15:48

A tactician path would be interesting. Treat it like the captain role in Coriolis. Where the fighter presumably barks orders for her comrades and can generate a success pool her allies can use in combat/stressful situations.

Spend a wp, roll manipulate as a slow action and the successes that come up become a pool for offense at rank 1.

At rank 2 the pool can be used for defense/evasion as well.

At rank 3 it could be applied to all tests where planning and organization would help.

Something to that effect. Successes pool vanishes after the particular situation is resolved.

**Edit** Melee could be used rather than manipulation depending on whether or not you want to reinforce synergy or different fighter types.**
I don't think I'd make it a roll at all but just make it spend 1 WP per +1, like the Warcry Hymn already does. Maybe like Champions limit it to 3 or something?
Doesn’t take into account the skill of the tactician though. :(
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

silverfoxdmt73

Wed 13 May 2020, 09:01

Let me know what you think of this:

Path of the Commander

Skilled in the art of war, a good commander is able to read the battlefield and lend their expertise where it is most needed.

Rank 1: As a Full Action the character spends a WP point and makes a Melee check with each success generating a pool of bonus die they are able to give to any ally in sight when they make a Melee or Marksman skill check.

Rank 2: As Rank 1, but the bonus die can also be spent on Dodge and Parry skill rolls made by their allies.

Rank 3: At this Rank using the Path of the Commander Talent only takes a Fast Action. In addition to the other Ranks, the talent may now be used to aid allies when they are setting an Ambush, Retreating or making a Sneak Attack.

The bonus die can be used at any appropriate point in the encounter. The character can use this talent multiple times during a combat encounter, so long as they have WP to spend. However, at the end of the encounter any bonus die in the pool are lost.

EDIT: Melee skill or perhaps Manipulate, to better represent the charisma of a good commander?

Ebrim

Wed 13 May 2020, 16:25

Looks good!

So I think I still prefer Manipulate to Melee, it just seems cooler to me to give alternate paths for high empathy fighters. But I’m happy for either.

Also my idea was not bonus dice but basically any successes scored on the roll can be shared. So at rank 1 if the fighter rolled 2 successes on his manipulate than an ally could take those two successes and add them directly to an attack roll. For balance this “tactics” roll couldn’t be pushed.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, a Forbidden Lands AP which focuses on learning the game, playing Raven’s Purge

Konungr

Wed 13 May 2020, 19:54

Just throwing this in here as an option.

Right now the Champion has a talent tree that is spend 1 WP to add an artifact die to a roll related to their vow. Rank 1 is a d8 r2 a d10 and r3 a d12.

What is Path of the Commander was you spend 1 WP and issue an order to an ally that can hear you clearly. They gain a d8/d10/d12 artifact die to their next roll related to completing the task you assigned to them. Doing this is not an action but only 1 order can be issued a turn.

It gives it a little more utility outside of combat (you could order someone to forage or set up camp or whatever), you benefit your entire team (where as warrior perks traditionally only benefit the warrior), and it's a simple straight forward mechanic.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Thu 14 May 2020, 13:57

Doesn’t take into account the skill of the tactician though. :(
Most Class Talents don't though.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Thu 14 May 2020, 13:58

Right now the Champion has a talent tree that is spend 1 WP to add an artifact die to a roll related to their vow. Rank 1 is a d8 r2 a d10 and r3 a d12.

What is Path of the Commander was you spend 1 WP and issue an order to an ally that can hear you clearly. They gain a d8/d10/d12 artifact die to their next roll related to completing the task you assigned to them. Doing this is not an action but only 1 order can be issued a turn.

It gives it a little more utility outside of combat (you could order someone to forage or set up camp or whatever), you benefit your entire team (where as warrior perks traditionally only benefit the warrior), and it's a simple straight forward mechanic.
That's a cool idea.

silverfoxdmt73

Thu 14 May 2020, 14:02

My only argument against this, as such, is that the Fighter's talents, along with the others have a specific focus, i.e. combat.. The Rogue has a focus on killing/sneaking etc.. If you make the utility too broad, it might as well be a Generic talent, rather than a Profession one.

I'd certainly not argue with a talent that gives those bonuses, but not as a Fighter's core talent.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Fri 15 May 2020, 12:25

My only argument against this, as such, is that the Fighter's talents, along with the others have a specific focus, i.e. combat.. The Rogue has a focus on killing/sneaking etc.. If you make the utility too broad, it might as well be a Generic talent, rather than a Profession one.

I'd certainly not argue with a talent that gives those bonuses, but not as a Fighter's core talent.
In general I'd agree with you, but fighter/warriors are also commanders and generals. Unless you want to create an entire class around that concept, and I wouldn't recommend that, I think the veteran general or commander is a perfectly viable concept.

But I suppose that might be too limiting to restrict it to a single class. However, doling out combat buffs seems viable.