Tywyll
Topic Author

Replacing the Warrior's Other Talent

Thu 07 May 2020, 12:10

I don't imagine we are going to use the Card based combat, so the Warrior's Talent becomes useless. Has anyone else given them something in its place and if so, what?

silverfoxdmt73

Re: Replacing the Warrior's Other Talent

Thu 07 May 2020, 12:56

I don't imagine we are going to use the Card based combat, so the Warrior's Talent becomes useless. Has anyone else given them something in its place and if so, what?

No, but I'd be interested to see if anyone else has too.. It's a little disappointing that an optional combat mechanic was the focus of one of the main Talents.

There are already talents to improve specific melee weapon attacks, shield effectiveness etc.

Maybe something to increase the effectiveness of allies attacks? A 'commander' type of Talent either granting Free attacks to neighbouring PCs, or NPCs, or other combat buffs?

Fenhorn

Thu 07 May 2020, 14:33

Perhaps changing the ranks to:

Rank 1: By spending one WP when you attack, your opponent have to choose his defence before you choose your type of attack (Slash or Stab.)

Rank 2: When you are attacked, you can foresee the enemies attack better, giving you +1 for every WP spent.

Rank 3. By spending one WP when you attack, your opponent have to choose his defence before you choose your type of attack and you are also allowed to change action to something other than an attack (feint, shove, Retreat, etc.).

I haven't test this at all, since non of my players play fighter, but they are in line with the idea of 'Path of the Enemy' and uses similar rules as other.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ebrim

Thu 07 May 2020, 15:06

So many general talents are combat focused, I never spent much time thinking about it.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Thu 07 May 2020, 15:57

So many general talents are combat focused, I never spent much time thinking about it.
That's true. I just don't like the asymetry of this one archetype not having as many Talents as others. Spell casters get a pass because they are weird and have penalty mechanics (3x cost without a teacher).

djday51

Mon 11 May 2020, 14:14

We don't use the combat cards either, I have a player who is a fighter so would be nice to give him an extra path as an alternative.

silverfoxdmt73

Mon 11 May 2020, 15:57

Minstrel has a 'taunt' type of ability? Already Talents for each major weapon types? Already a Brawler Talent, Ambidextrous....

How about something that gives bonus for wearing different types of armour? Or is that too bland?

Like,
Rank 1: +1 Gear bonus for wearing Leather (or Studded) armour.
Rank 2: +1 Gear bonus for wearing chain or Plate.
Rank 3: Or +1d8 Artefact Die for any armour type in addition to the bonuses for Ranks 1 and 2.

Ebrim

Mon 11 May 2020, 16:15

A tactician path would be interesting. Treat it like the captain role in Coriolis. Where the fighter presumably barks orders for her comrades and can generate a success pool her allies can use in combat/stressful situations.

Spend a wp, roll manipulate as a slow action and the successes that come up become a pool for offense at rank 1.

At rank 2 the pool can be used for defense/evasion as well.

At rank 3 it could be applied to all tests where planning and organization would help.

Something to that effect. Successes pool vanishes after the particular situation is resolved.

**Edit** Melee could be used rather than manipulation depending on whether or not you want to reinforce synergy or different fighter types.**
Last edited by Ebrim on Mon 11 May 2020, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

silverfoxdmt73

Mon 11 May 2020, 17:24

A tactician path would be interesting. Treat it like the captain role in Coriolis. Where the fighter presumably barks orders for her comrades and can generate a success pool her allies can use in combat/stressful situations.

Spend a wp, roll manipulate as a slow action and the successes that come up become a pool for offense at rank 1.

At rank 3 it could be applied to all tests where planning and organization would help.

Something to that effect. Successes pool vanishes after the particular situation is resolved.

I think that sounds pretty good.

Perhaps the Rank 3 abilities could apply to rolls made to set Ambushes? Or to create distractions to help Sneak attacks in battle?

Ebrim

Mon 11 May 2020, 17:25

I think that sounds pretty good.

Perhaps the Rank 3 abilities could apply to rolls made to set Ambushes? Or to create distractions to help Sneak attacks in battle?
Yeah, definitely.