Spiraller
Topic Author

How many actions are required for drawing 2 weapons (or shield and weapon)?

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 04:06

If your pc doesn't have ambidextrous?

One or two?

Valyar

Re: How many actions are required for drawing 2 weapons (or shield and weapon)?

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 05:44

Draw weapon is Fast action and according to the rules you require 2 fast actions.
When it is your turn to act, you can perform one slow action and one fast action, or two fast actions

DRAW WEAPON: You draw a weapon from your belt or scabbard. No roll is required. This fast action can also be used to pick up a weapon or other item from the ground (within ARM’S LENGTH). Also see the QUICKDRAW talent.

Ebrim

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 15:41

Good news is that unless it’s a buckler you can hang from a belt, there’s really no such thing as “drawing a shield”. You’re always carrying that bad boy around on your arm anyway. Contrary to video games shields don’t make good backpacks.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Valyar

Wed 15 Apr 2020, 16:12

Good news is that unless it’s a buckler you can hang from a belt, there’s really no such thing as “drawing a shield”. You’re always carrying that bad boy around on your arm anyway. Contrary to video games shields don’t make good backpacks.
Shield can be hanging from backpack, hook on the waist/backpack/animal and it might require fast action to get and prep. I would say we can agree that shields depend on the circumstances? :)

eniaios

Sat 20 Feb 2021, 20:08

Shield can be hanging from backpack, hook on the waist/backpack/animal and it might require fast action to get and prep. I would say we can agree that shields depend on the circumstances? :)
That's what I'm thinking. Narrative can have it the character leaves the shield someplace to do stuff and, if necessary, call for a Draw Weapon action. Like, it's not that easy to use both hands on a delicate job (say, picking locks) while having a bulky shield strapped over your arm.
Funny thing is, my players almost always declare they draw their weapons and shields when expecting trouble. As in "you all saw that gryphon flying above us, better get our weapons ready" or "We see a bunch of armed people? Get your weapons out, fellas, you never know".

I have a different question though: weapons like spear, quarterstaff, or two-handed sword, are supposedly carried on hand, thus negating the need to Draw Weapon. And when exploring a dungeon, players can always declare their characters have their weapons drawn all the time. Could the particular action be extended to include 'prepare your weapon for combat' or is it meant only for sheathed weapons?

Fascinated Overseer

Sat 20 Feb 2021, 21:23

I have a different question though: weapons like spear, quarterstaff, or two-handed sword, are supposedly carried on hand, thus negating the need to Draw Weapon. And when exploring a dungeon, players can always declare their characters have their weapons drawn all the time. Could the particular action be extended to include 'prepare your weapon for combat' or is it meant only for sheathed weapons?
IMHO, the carried weapons do not require drawing, since they are not sheathed. The downside of carrying your weapon all the time is that you do not have spare hand for torches or treasure sacks.

Additionally, carrying weapon makes it possible to drop it by accident or you leave it to wrong place when doing stuff like setting up a camp. Having to draw weapon is a small price when compared to leaving your spear at the tents while fetching firewood.

Melvin

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 12:39

And in some villages, having the authorities maybe some eyes on you because you hold a weapon in your hands.