Anarett
Topic Author

Sneak attacks and Range

Wed 19 Feb 2020, 18:26

Are there any restrictions to sneak attacks with long weapons? Or heavy ones? I mean, is it allowed to sneak attack someone with a Heavy Warhammer, for example? Its Range is Near, so I'll get only a -1 to my roll, while attacking with a knife would give me a -2 modifier, since its Range is Arm's Length. Moreover, heavy warhammers inflict 3 damage, while knives inflict only 1. Would an assassin prefer a heavy warhammer to a knife?
Or must I sneak attack in close combat only from Arm's Length Range? A Two-Handed Sword would still inflict more damage than a knife, though...

UPD: Heavy Warhammer's Range is Arm's Length, sorry, looked at the wrong row. 
Last edited by Anarett on Thu 20 Feb 2020, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.

Ivanru

Re: Sneak attacks and Range

Wed 19 Feb 2020, 18:28

guess only reason to use a dagger instead of ie two handed sword is its easier to suprise someone with a dagger, ie attack frotm the front for example

Anarett
Topic Author

Wed 19 Feb 2020, 18:34

Well, that's the problem: according to the rules, the only modifiers to sneak attacks are from Range. I would expect a light weapon to give a +1 bonus, and a heavy one to give a -1 modifier, for example (or nothing for a light weapon, -1 for a normal weapon and -2 for a heavy one), but there are no weight modifiers. So nothing in the system makes sneak attacking with a knife easier than with a warhammer.

Fenhorn

Wed 19 Feb 2020, 18:50

Sneak attack is simply an attack from a position where you are not seen, so what you attack with has nothing to do with it. A knife is easier to hide in a settlement and something that might be the preferred weapon because of other reasons. For the sneak attacker, he should use whatever weapon he has talent ranks in.

There is a penalty (-2) if you are using a heavy weapon in a cramped zone, so if the target is somewhere cramped, a light or normal weapon is better, but that is for all sorts of attacks, not just sneak attacks.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Anarett
Topic Author

Wed 19 Feb 2020, 19:47

Thank you! :)

Ebrim

Thu 20 Feb 2020, 17:16

What Fenhorn said. Daggers and knives are easy to conceal and so typically get employed by assassin types. It’s not that they’re somehow inherently more damaging if you catch someone unawares.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Anarett
Topic Author

Thu 27 Feb 2020, 23:10

Yes, it's reasonable, as long as it's not some sort of special roguish abilities, but just one of attack types. I'm more used to another approach to rogues, but it's only a matter of habit, actually. :)

Ebrim

Fri 28 Feb 2020, 16:46

I feel like it’s always worth saying that the only class in Forbidden Lands is adventurer. Whatever you were before is just background. :)
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Jizmack

Sun 01 Mar 2020, 09:34

One factor to take into consideration is how much noise you’re willing to make during your sneak attack.
If you don’t care about being loud, then use the biggest weapon with a war cry when attacking.
If you want to do a quiet kill, then you’ll need one free hand to gag or muffle your opponent when attacking, which means getting into Arm’s Length with a one-handed weapon.

Alucard89

Mon 02 Mar 2020, 11:52

Think of it this way: if you were to assassinate someone in crowd or during a party/meeting etc. - would you walk around carrying warhammer? Or knife/dagger in your shoe? It makes sense. Warhammer would draw attention and if someone would be found dead with his head cracked like a melon- everyone would think "hey, remember that guy with warhammer who was walking around here?".

However, a different scenario - enemy camp, middle of a night. You mange to sneak to sleeping ones. Now using warhammer would make more sense, you can still bash heads open but if rest will get up- you are already armed in primary weapon.

Sneaking to a sleeping monster? Well, if you have only one chance to hit it while it sleep, might as well use warhammer for maximum damage.