hillarious
Topic Author

Gametesting of new class Champion

Sat 08 Feb 2020, 16:35

Have anyone here been in a game where the Champion has been tested ? Is it OP or seems like a class where talents will stay as is ?
Last edited by hillarious on Wed 26 Feb 2020, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Konungr

Re: Gametesting of new class Champion

Sat 08 Feb 2020, 20:56

It's the opposite of OP. The Talents are pretty underwhelming. There isn't much synergy between them and they don't work well in the way they are "supposed" to. Path of protection as an example doesn't do a very good job of protecting anyone while getting yourself killed. Path of the holy vow can be a pretty big willpower sink. The current benefit isn't the worst but it's not fantastic either. Fate probably has the best benefits.

hillarious
Topic Author

Sun 09 Feb 2020, 00:42

I think rank 3 in path of fate is abit op, with 10 wp can make 10 attacks ?  :shock:
Path of protection seems useless while path of vow seems nice, can do extra damage with it much like rank 3 i path of blade for example

Konungr

Sun 09 Feb 2020, 01:04

I think rank 3 in path of fate is abit op, with 10 wp can make 10 attacks ?  :shock:
Path of protection seems useless while path of vow seems nice, can do extra damage with it much like rank 3 i path of blade for example
I agree that 10 extra attacks in a single go is pretty nuts. But then you are spent for some time. The new restrictions on pushing rolls coupled with the 10 WP cap means it's unlikely to happen. It seems more likely to help facilitate moves to attack or lining up swings.

Path of Vow I think needs to be changed to 1 WP to activate rank 1 adds a d8 artifact die, r2 a d10, r3 a d12. Better to have a higher chance for more successes but also a chance for none with a single WP spent instead of 3 WP for 3 successes. Eating up 3 WP just devours your pool.

Kvitulv

Mon 24 Feb 2020, 16:30

Path of Fate rank 2 vs Path of the shield rank 3 missing text? 

in PATH OF THE SHIELD RANK 3 it says clearly that you have to state  how many WP you use to further decrease damage BEFORE rolling for Armor. Nice and clear.
HOWEVER that is not the case with PATH OF THE FATE rank 2. you simple use WP to avoid taking damage. 

Which leads to our Champion first rolling armor than using WP to negate damage. Which also have the nice additional affect of negating damage to armor (gear roll 1s)

I feel the PATH OF FATE miss 'state how many WP you use BEFORE rolling armor'. It feel it's inconsistently to other rules of damage and armor rolls. I am tempted to add last paragraph of PATH OF THE SHIELD to PATH OF FATE to correct the mistake. But I wonder maybe it is intentionally, that you can roll armor before using WP to negate damage?  

hillarious
Topic Author

Champion - Path of Fate - Rank 2

Tue 25 Feb 2020, 23:33

Is armor applied to damage before or after wp, or not at all?

Ie creature give 5 dmg to player
-> Roll armor then choose how many wp to negate remaining dmg
or choose how many wp to negate dmg then roll armor on rest
or no armor at all

Moderator Action: Merged threads with similar topic.

Fenhorn

Wed 26 Feb 2020, 00:16

As I see it, Path of Fate (R2), allows you to spend WP to avoid damage taken, meaning actual damage that you would have taken otherwise (after armour and all that).

My reasoning for this is that a champion relies on his faith, it is not something he does, it is not a parry with shield or a weapon. His faith (whatever god he believes in) let him avoid damage. Will his faith also possible stop your armour from being damaged in the attack by removing all damage so you don't have to break your new nice looking armour with an armour roll. A fighter with the talent Path of the Shield (R3) can decrease the damage with his shield, but this is something he do (he parries) and is something that happens before the weapon even hits the armour.

A fighter is better fighting humanoids, multiple of them even. A champion is better fighting one enemy at a time, monster even.

This is just my opinion. The rules are in beta and this things are better reported in. FL has been known to lurk here every now and then so there is a good chance that they know about this thread and if the talent do work like the Path of the Shield (by removing potential damage before the armour roll) then they hopefully have time to clarify that before the release of the final pdf.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

hillarious
Topic Author

Wed 26 Feb 2020, 10:29

As I see it, Path of Fate (R2), allows you to spend WP to avoid damage taken, meaning actual damage that you would have taken otherwise (after armour and all that).

My reasoning for this is that a champion relies on his faith, it is not something he does, it is not a parry with shield or a weapon. His faith (whatever god he believes in) let him avoid damage. Will his faith also possible stop your armour from being damaged in the attack by removing all damage so you don't have to break your new nice looking armour with an armour roll. A fighter with the talent Path of the Shield (R3) can decrease the damage with his shield, but this is something he do (he parries) and is something that happens before the weapon even hits the armour.

A fighter is better fighting humanoids, multiple of them even. A champion is better fighting one enemy at a time, monster even.

This is just my opinion. The rules are in beta and this things are better reported in. FL has been known to lurk here every now and then so there is a good chance that they know about this thread and if the talent do work like the Path of the Shield (by removing potential damage before the armour roll) then they hopefully have time to clarify that before the release of the final pdf.
Yeah a fighter with path of the enemy could destroy a champion. I dont think the path of fate protects the armor though , if wp is applied after armor 1s on armor roll would still be in effect since it goes though .

Reolution;
1. Enemy hits character
2. Charcter roll armor, soaks some or all. If not all damage, 1s are breaking down armor
3. Character applies wp to soak up remaining dmg

Kvitulv

Wed 26 Feb 2020, 18:47

I'm not sure how I 'report' in such things. I did leave a commentary on Bitter Reach Beta PDF page. Hope that is enough. There needs to be a structural clarification on this. Like you can use WP after rolling armour. Further it should also be noting if this actually damage armour or not. Just imagine a solid slash leaving a gape in your chest armour, but no blood. Now that is truly a miracle of Fate. So when it comes to damage armour before WP negates damage, I'm on the fence your explanation, both you and mr Hillarious makes compelling arguments. 

I very much liked your explanation of how PATH OF FATE rank II should work. It make sense. From a game mechanism perspective most talents that somehow reduce dmg/negates successes etc (by spending WP) are done BEFORE rolling armor. Having some special talens that allows you to do it AFTER, makes the talent more unique. It's subtle yes, but it change how the rule works for you.    

hillarious
Topic Author

Re: [Merged] Gametesting of new class Champion

Wed 26 Feb 2020, 19:30

if use wp before roll armor player can reduce the dmg to a minimum and save rest for armor roll, saves the armor for alot of damage which is great in long run. 

If use wp after armor roll , armor gets destroyed fast but benefit is more easy make sure no dmg coming through, also great!

So both options are good  :) would be nice with a clarification from the creators though