Spiraller
Topic Author

How many "WPs" can a GM spend to activate a kin talent at any one time since he doesn't have a WP pool to spend from?

Sat 08 Feb 2020, 07:29

Is there a limit?

Fenhorn

Re: How many "WPs" can a GM spend to activate a kin talent at any one time since he doesn't have a WP pool to spend from

Sat 08 Feb 2020, 08:04

The GM doesn't have WP. An NPC can use (once per round) their kin talent or profession talent as if they spent one WP.

When a spellcaster NPC cast a spell they choose a base Power level equal to the spellcaster's rank in the magic discipline used (plus one Power Level if an ingredient is used).

if the GM have four spellcaster NPCs in an encounter, then all four may cast spells each round.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Spiraller
Topic Author

Re: How many "WPs" can a GM spend to activate a kin talent at any one time since he doesn't have a WP pool to spend from

Sat 08 Feb 2020, 08:29

Yes, I understand that. But how is a GM supposed to activate the Halfling, Wolfkin, Orc and Goblin talents?

pytheas

Sat 08 Feb 2020, 09:05

Yes, I understand that. But how is a GM supposed to activate the Halfling, Wolfkin, Orc and Goblin talents?
By choosing to do so and using their judgement, I think.

Mr Oldtimer

Sat 08 Feb 2020, 09:37

By choosing to do so and using their judgement, I think.
That is pretty much how I have ruled it. What makes for a good story?

Spiraller
Topic Author

Sun 09 Feb 2020, 18:58

Probably, but seems like an accidental omission rather than intended design when they updated the rules. If not, then then why limit spellcasters? Why the need to explicitly curtail the GM's judgment to pick how powerful a spell is?

Fenhorn

Sun 09 Feb 2020, 19:18

NPC spellcasters are very powerful with the new system, perhaps even more so than in the pool system. Sure, an NPC can't just spend 10 WP in one spell in a combat system, but they can can cast Power Level 2-3 spells each time they cast a spell. That can be very devastating, I have noticed. Also, with the pool, the players could see before an encounter with NPCs if they where going to be able to use spells or not.

Spiraller
Topic Author

Fri 14 Feb 2020, 19:12

By the way, how is the Transfer talent supposed to work when applied on NPCs?

Fenhorn

Fri 14 Feb 2020, 19:36

By the way, how is the Transfer talent supposed to work when applied to NPCs?
This spell doesn't work well with NPC, regardless if you are using pool or not. I don't allow an NPC to take part of the friendly use of the spell (they simply refuses it). Since the NPC spellcaster only has 'Magic Tradition Rank' WP at any given time, it isn't that useful for the players to steal WP. An NPC can steal WP from a player, but the same thing happens, it doesn't affect how many WP they have for spellcasting in any given movement.

Spiraller
Topic Author

Fri 14 Feb 2020, 20:01

I re-read the text box in the core rulebook. One WP per round it is.

I'm going to house-rule this though. More prominent NPCs can spend two or three "WP" per round.