hillarious
Topic Author

Underpowered magic

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 17:11

Most magic is has limitations like cannot target monsters , only humanoids and so on. Why is this ? Seems not very viable to play magic users compared to ie fighter or other classes. Also high risk of mishaps. Dont see why any would play magic user except for the flair...comments?

Fenhorn

Re: Underpowered magic

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 17:19

You don't always fight monsters. Most events will probably be humanoids and magic will work on those. There are some spells that works on monsters.
There is a risk using magic, but this isn't a d&d-like game, magic should be used with caution. There are also safe castings.
Me and my group have 38 (long) sessions with FbL and besides that a demon was summoned one time, nothing really that harsh has happen with magic mishaps, both for the reason that my players know to only use spells when you actually are needing it and the use of safe casting.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

hillarious
Topic Author

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 17:23

But its alof of combat right, so a sorcerer should expect use magic often in combat. Or should just run ...

Fenhorn

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 17:27

My players when they play druids or sorcerers use swords (and other weapons) in combat. Sometimes magic if the encounter is on its way to go south or if the enemy is an important one.

hillarious
Topic Author

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 17:33

Its cool for flavor, gandalf style, but if using swords they could just all well be a fighter and achive higher defence meanwhile doing more dmg 

Fenhorn

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 17:34

Then druids and sorcerers are not for you then.

edit: A sorcerer in FbL may swing a sword in battle against an enemy or two, casting a spell every now and then. The same thing with a druid. Spells are very powerful in this game. Immolation PL3 for example will kill an average npc and there is nothing he can do about it and it costs only 2-3 WP for the sorcerer. So it is probably a good thing that spells are not cast like in d&d. That makes other professions a valid choice to play.

edit2: A sorcerer that fights with a sword in combat and only cast a spell every now and then also most likely earn WP thanks to his use of melee and move skills, WP that can be used for spells.

muk83

Fri 31 Jan 2020, 19:59

Think of Gandalf, he definitely has some close combat talents and use the spells sparingly.

Outside of profession talents there are none that support magic, so you can definitely make combat/utility traveler that uses spells in dire situations. Spells can be powerful, but they don't solve your everyday problems.

Konungr

Sat 01 Feb 2020, 05:58

This isn't dnd where the "spell casters" do nothing but spell cast.

This is closer to conan. Where the spell casters are warriors in their own right who cast 1 or 2 spells in an encounter to gain an advantage and then exploit that advantage with a sword in hand.

There is no such thing as a spell caster only. Everyone should have weapons and be getting into the fight.

hillarious
Topic Author

Sat 01 Feb 2020, 08:36

I think was abit underwelmed in start but has started to grow on me. I like magic is not like in dnd where after some time magicusers are only viable class.

myrsloken

Sat 01 Feb 2020, 20:27

Nice to see that that it's growing on you. It is important to know that magic is reserved for special occasions when creating a character, and have other ways to tackle both combat, social conflicts and exploration. Make sure you check out the general talents! There are lots of ways to specialize your character!