The1TrueFredrix

Re: How do you kill an Enemy?

Tue 14 Jan 2020, 07:57

NPCs can push their rolls. And they can take banes (damage) from 1s on pushed rolls (not skill dice)
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Mamuki
Topic Author

Wed 15 Jan 2020, 20:42

The more I think about the combat in Forbidden Lands the more I like it. It is quite genius, really.

Anyway, what is the role / purpose of the skull dice when a Monster / Enemy is rolling to attack? If a Monster rolls 2 sixes and 2 ones (skulls), the attack is already successful. The ones (skulls) means nothing. 

Are the Monsters allowed to push rolls? To re-roll again? That means that they can take damage from ones / skulls as a regular player character?

And finally, another question.

Roll an attack with twelve Base Dice and Weapon Damage 2 

That means that if the Monster rolls 4 sixes (successes) it makes 8 damage to a character? 4 successes x Weapon Damage 2.

Fenhorn

Wed 15 Jan 2020, 20:51

Anyway, what is the role / purpose of the skull dice when a Monster / Enemy is rolling to attack?
Are the Monsters allowed to push rolls?
The same as for when a Player rolls a skull. Although when it comes to monsters, they can't push their skill rolls or their monster attacks, only humanoids can push. So technically, banes (the skulls) doesn't mean anything for monsters. Animals can't push their skill rolls, normally, but a humanoid that rides a horse for example can and that can hurt the horse, but they don't push by themselves.

Roll an attack with twelve Base Dice and Weapon Damage 2 

That means that if the Monster rolls 4 sixes (successes) it makes 8 damage to a character? 4 successes x Weapon Damage 2.
Weapon damage applies to the first success, any success after that, adds one damage to the total. So an attack with 4 successes (Weapon Damage 2) will result in 5 damage.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Mamuki
Topic Author

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 09:03

Thanks a lot, Fenhorn! Yes, I was getting it wrong.

Regarding MELEE and RANGED Combat.

When you attack someone with a bow, you roll for MARKMANSHIP + Weapon's Gear Bonus Die.

When you attack someone with a long sword, you roll for MELEE + Weapon's Gear Bonus Die.

So it is truth that you never roll an Attribute Die when you attack? Only Skills die + Gear Bonus die?

I thought that if I want to attack someone with a long sword, I roll: STRENGTH die (from Attributes) + MELEE die (from Skills) + Weapon's Gear Bonus Die.

But what if I have zero points in MELEE and I want to attack with a long sword?

What do I roll then? Only the base STRENGTH ATTRIBUTE dice?

Oh, so I have playing it wrong?  :(

Fenhorn

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 09:13

All skill rolls are made using Base Dice (attribute) + Skill Dice + Gear Dice.

Mamuki
Topic Author

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 09:50

But in the book it says you roll for Melee + Weapons Gear when you make an attack. It says nothing about adding Attribute dice too.

So attacking an enemy in melee or ranged is a skill roll?

lupex

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 10:06

But in the book it says you roll for Melee + Weapons Gear when you make an attack. It says nothing about adding Attribute dice too.

So attacking an enemy in melee or ranged is a skill roll?
When you use a skill (Melee is a skill), you always roll Attribute + Skill + Gear + bonus/penalty
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Mamuki
Topic Author

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 13:36

Going to play THE HOLLOWS this weekend, for my family.

One last time, please. Regarding the rolls.

You, as a Character, are ALWAYS rolling ATTRIBUTE + SKILL + WEAPON + GEAR when you are trying to do something or when you are attacking.

You NEVER roll only SKILL + WEAPON or only SKILL. You are always including the ATTRIBUTE dice in your rolls.

Is that correct?

Fenhorn

Fri 17 Jan 2020, 13:47

Yes. All skill rolls are done with the base (attribute) dice + skill dice (if any) + gear/weapon dice (if any) +- modifications (all modifications are made with skill dice).