Mamuki
Topic Author

How do you kill an Enemy?

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 19:10

Hello All,

I am trying to learn the basic rules in order to run a short adventure for my kid (who is 12 years old) but I am having difficulties wrapping my head around a new system. 

There are a lot of tiny details you have to take into considerations, as a GM. 

One of the main issues I have is not completely understanding how do you kill an enemy. An Ogre for example. There are not Hit Points in Forbidden Lands so how do I know how many wounds an Enemy still have?

An Ogre has Strength 6.

Is the Strength of an Enemy supposed to be his Life / his Hit Points?

When is an Enemy properly killed? When he / she is Broken? When he has no Strength points left?

Thank you all!

Fenhorn

Re: How do you kill an Enemy?

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 19:29

In FbL you damage your attributes. An ogre with a strength of 6 can take 6 damage before he is broken and take a critical injury.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Mamuki
Topic Author

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 19:56

Thank you so much, Fenhorn!

I will have a few other questions, if I may :)

Rymdhamster

Sun 12 Jan 2020, 00:12

how do you kill an enemy. 
And if the enemy survives their critical injuri, you'll have to "finsih them off" if you want/can. 

To do that, the enemy must be broken, and the one delivering the killing blow must spend a willpower point AND fail a charisma roll or what ever the social attribute is called in english (because killing is a nasty bussiness, and is harder the more empathy you have for others). 
As long as you do not get any successes on the charisma dice, you execute the enemy, 

Ebrim

Sun 12 Jan 2020, 08:14

An npc depleted to zero in strength is broken and out of the fight. Whether that means dead, critically injured, unconscious, etc. is up to you as a GM or perhaps the players. What’s best for your story.

Mamuki
Topic Author

Sun 12 Jan 2020, 08:38

Yes, I have just read that in the book. Thanks Rymdhamster and Ebrim!

Another thing, related to combat and damage. 

Let's say an enemy performs an attack with ten Base Dice and Weapon Damage 1.

He rolls the dice and he gets 2 successes (2 sixes). That means that he still does 1 Damage? No matter how many successes he gets on his roll?

Or is he doing 1 Weapon Damage for EACH six he rolled? So, in my case, he inflicts 2 Weapon Damage 1?

Fenhorn

Sun 12 Jan 2020, 10:39

Yes, I have just read that in the book. Thanks Rymdhamster and Ebrim!

Another thing, related to combat and damage. 

Let's say an enemy performs an attack with ten Base Dice and Weapon Damage 1.

He rolls the dice and he gets 2 successes (2 sixes). That means that he still does 1 Damage? No matter how many successes he gets on his roll?

Or is he doing 1 Weapon Damage for EACH six he rolled? So, in my case, he inflicts 2 Weapon Damage 1?
The first success inflicts weapon damage and then it is +1 damage for each additional success rolled.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Melvin

Sun 12 Jan 2020, 11:20

Except for monsters, if broken they die without the need to finish them.

Mamuki
Topic Author

Sun 12 Jan 2020, 12:03

Thanks again!

Yes, I don't think I want the players to use Willpower or fail on Empathy to kill an Enemy. It is way too much.

In my games, if an Enemy is broken (it has zero Strength points left) it is automatically killed. No argument.  

myrsloken

Sun 12 Jan 2020, 15:49

Why is it too much? I have found it very interesting in actual play. Remember that anyone can buy the talent which removes the roll and cost.