mafusael

Why 1s on SKILL dice may be rerolled?

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 15:28

Why the skill dices, which come up with 1s, may be rerolled on push.
Yeah, it is RAW, but what point? What the design idea is placed here?
Because, if you may easily reroll 1s - why you need to rise skills ever and spend XP on them?
Custom GM Screen and Character Sheet for FbL
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NTsVe ... YaBTUd9Rau

Fenhorn

Re: Why 1s on SKILL dice may be rerolled?

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 17:07

I must admit that I don't really understand the question  :?

When you push a skill roll you must re-roll all the dice that doesn't have a special symbol on them (2-5 for Base Dice and Gear Dice; 1-5 for skill dice). Dice that doesn't have a special symbol on them, doesn't mean anything, so that is the reason you want to push the roll, to get a 'Swords' symbol on the dice. The risk with a push is that you can roll a 'Bane' symbol (Base and Gear Dice).
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Rymdhamster

Sat 11 Jan 2020, 19:05

Because, if you may easily reroll 1s - why you need to rise skills ever and spend XP on them?
Because you want to become better at what you do. 

The number of ability dice you roll each time reduce with the damage you take. And any 1;s rolled on them risk hurting you even further. Gear dice won't hurt you, but they risk breaking and thus reducing your number of dice even more. 

By increasing your skills with XP you become less and less dependent on your gear and on your basic abilities wthout adding any new risk to your self.
And by incresing the number of dice you roll, you reduce the need to push a roll to beginn with, thus removing (well, reducing) the risk of anything bad happening to you at all. 

If you don't _want_ to get better at something, there's no need to spend any XP at all on skills. But I would imagine pretty much all characters have some skill that is their "area of expertice" that they would wan't to get as high as possible. 

Plus, i mean: what would a 1 on a skill die do? A 1 on abilities mean you over excert yourself, and get tired pretty much. 1:s on gear dice mean you press the tool to hard and break it. A 1 one a skill die would be...? Temporary alzheimers? Or hit your abilities the same way that ability dice do? 

I'd say the biggest reason to increase your skills with XP is _because_ they don't cause trouble on 1:s. 

fmitchell

Mon 13 Jan 2020, 22:11

Because you want to become better at what you do. 
The incentive angle never occurred to me, but I like it.

Conceptually, pushing dice means using extraordinary effort on a specific task. Base Dice represent raw ability, and pushing that risks straining or exhausting the ability used. Pushing gear, likewise, can break it. Skill Dice represent knowledge, experience, and practice, plus circumstantial modifiers; it's hard to imagine "breaking" any of that, so 1s have no special effect. Improvement typically has no downsides, so adding Skill Dice doesn't increase the chance of straining something.

Conceivably a pushed roll could simply eliminate Skill Dice that come up 1. (That would simplify probability calculations a bit.) Being able to re-roll 1s on Skill Dice gives the character with more Skill an edge over an opponent relying on higher attributes or gear, even if they're rolling the same number of dice.

It's also worth noting that only Forbidden Lands and Mutant Year Zero distinguish Base Dice, Skill Dice, and Gear Dice. In Coriolis, Tales from the Loop, and the upcoming Vaesen, all dice in the pool are the same; 1s have no special significance and are re-rolled. (Alien's Base Dice behave the same way; its Stress Dice do something else entirely on a 1.) One could regard Skill Dice as the "default" and Base and Gear Dice as special cases to represent wear and tear on bodies or equipment.
Frank Mitchell

HILDA: This isn't much of a pep talk. Can't you say, 'you can do it!'
ALFUR: Sure! You can do it! (Statement for encouragement purposes only. You may not actually be able to do it.)
-- Hilda ep. 9 (Netflix, 2018)

Konungr

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 07:31

1s only cause damage when the roll is pushed. If the player rolls poorly to start and gets several 1s but they don't get to reroll them, then they both know a minimum damage they will suffer for pushing AND risk suffering more. They HAVE to be rerolled so that it's a gamble for the player. Otherwise they just won't push at all.

Eldhierta

Thu 16 Jan 2020, 11:23

1s only cause damage when the roll is pushed. If the player rolls poorly to start and gets several 1s but they don't get to reroll them, then they both know a minimum damage they will suffer for pushing AND risk suffering more. They HAVE to be rerolled so that it's a gamble for the player. Otherwise they just won't push at all.
And that is why you only roll when it truly matters when playing a game with the Year Zero-engine. The players must weigh the benefits of succeeding against the trauma incurred if they push as well as the repercussions of failure if they fail their roll. In knowing the sacrifice they'll have to make, truly heroic deeds are born.
GZIP: Off