Texanstoryteller
Topic Author

Treasures. How much to give

Thu 12 Dec 2019, 07:06

Feel free to ask me questions. Maybe I won’t be specific enough.

Let’s say. We have 5 adventurers. Second game. They went over 3 potentially deadly encounters and they make it. But before to leave the dungeon they found some treasures.

I don’t want to be greedy but I don’t want too much. And how to manage a divide who can’t be equal?

Ebrim

Re: Treasures. How much to give

Thu 12 Dec 2019, 14:41

So what’s this dungeon? Is it an animal cave or the ruined lower layers of some old fortress? Who was living there? What things of value would they likely have had? Those questions might get closer to an answer.

I’d say err on the side of too little than too much and don’t worry how they split it. That’s up to the PCs to decide. Though if you think there will be bad blood over it, maybe toss in some coins that can be distributed.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Rymdhamster

Thu 12 Dec 2019, 15:18

Well... if you give them something valuable, but that can't be splitt (like a magical artefact) then you have created "Drama" =)
Just lean back and watch the palyers debate.
And if they decide to make it simply for themsleves and go sell it, then you have the next adventure: finding a buyer.

SpandexAndy

Thu 12 Dec 2019, 16:08

You can use this online generator to make up some treasures...
https://fblgen.azurewebsites.net/treasure

It uses the tables in the GM book. However, I find this treasure system quite random. Sometimes it will give you a few rubbish items of little value, and then other times suddenly an art piece worth 100sp.

What I do is generate my treasure in advance. So I have a sheet with pre-generated treasure of various kinds. I can take the time to describe each one nicely. Then when in a session, if I need to give out some treasure I will scan my eye over the page and select some items. Then cross it off my list.

Texanstoryteller
Topic Author

Thu 12 Dec 2019, 16:28

Thank you. Think all approaches are interesting and thank you for the link.

Question. Do you fight risking your life in the Forbidden Lands for an artifact and few golds ?

Rymdhamster

Thu 12 Dec 2019, 16:29

It uses the tables in the GM book. However, I find this treasure system quite random. Sometimes it will give you a few rubbish items of little value, and then other times suddenly an art piece worth 100sp.

That's part of the fun though, isn't it? =D

"I've been through the goblin castle, and all I got was this stupid tunic!"

Ebrim

Thu 12 Dec 2019, 17:27

Thank you. Think all approaches are interesting and thank you for the link.

Question. Do you fight risking your life in the Forbidden Lands for an artifact and few golds ?
I wouldn't treat artifacts as rewards. Use artifacts to drive story or campaign. Many artifacts given in the GM guide tie either strongly or loosely with Raven's Purge. The artifact could be the hook that gets them involved (or doesn't if they choose to just get rid of this potentially troublesome thing or choose to seek out an interested party to buy it who themselves may be a hook.)

PCs in the Forbidden Lands are assumed to have the itch of adventure, curiosity, wanderlust. They go and do these things because they can't help themselves. They risk their lives because they're not content to just sit in their villages and grow old. They seek out legends for the sake of seeking out legends and rewards and fame are bonuses. Treasure is likely ephemeral and anything of lasting value draws the attention of potentially jealous competitors.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.