Alucard89

"Only damaged by Magic" question

Tue 10 Dec 2019, 03:42

So my group got to meet an enemy that can "only be hurt with magic". However, my party has no sorcerer or any other source of "magic" in terms of spells, power words etc. We have dwarf fighter, elf minstrel, half-elf rogue, human fighter and wolfkin hunter. However they have couple of magic artifact weapons (2x magic swords and magic great hammer). Since rule doesn't state that "Magic" means only spells I am gonna rule that magic weapons also can hurt such creature because those artifacts are full of magic and were crafted with it.

I am not sure what intend was behind "only damaged by magic" rule but since not every party is guarantee to have magic-users and magic is quite a wide definition in Forbidden Lands amd fantasy- I feel that it's fair.

I treat it simillar to "immune to damage by non-magical weapons" from DnD.

Ebrim

Re: "Only damaged by Magic" question

Tue 10 Dec 2019, 04:32

Hmm... in what way are these items magic? Do they have drawbacks of any kind? Or did you just give them normal items +artifact dice? In the latter case they may not necessarily be magical at all.

Your party can also just run away, which would be the sensible thing to do. Or try to bargain with the entity, perhaps it needs them to do something for it? Or maybe it has some sort of weakness that they can discover.

Rymdhamster

Tue 10 Dec 2019, 10:44

I would let magical weapons harm the creature. I've always liked that concept that regular weapons just pass right through it (or bounce of, what ever is appropriate), but that a magical weapon actually connects.

Like oldie DnD (didn't like that they changed it to just resistance) or that scene in Lord of the Rings where Aragorn parries. Makes me smile every time =)

Ebrim brings up a good point though: are the weapons really magical?

That of course depends a bit on your world view, as well though. I myself kind of like the old beliefs about the forge being a magical place, and smiths night unto magicans. So a mastercrafted weapon for example would be touched by magic.

Hmmm... maybe I'd let mastercrafted weapons do half damage, and magical weapons full damage. And describe how the master crafted sweeps straight through the creature, but they can feel a slight drag. Just a little bit of resistance, as the weapon tears puffs of ectoplasm with it.

Alucard89

Wed 11 Dec 2019, 01:28

Hmm... in what way are these items magic? Do they have drawbacks of any kind? Or did you just give them normal items +artifact dice? In the latter case they may not necessarily be magical at all.

Your party can also just run away, which would be the sensible thing to do. Or try to bargain with the entity, perhaps it needs them to do something for it? Or maybe it has some sort of weakness that they can discover.
They are story-magic items. It's [spoiler] Asina, The Maligarn Sword and Scarnesbane [/spoiler]. In my opinion strong and important magic artifacts like that should be treated as very potent magic and therefore hurt enemies that can only be hurt by magic. I would treat all magic weapons from books like that (from both gamemaster and Raven's Purge) as they are always some very old artifacts with story and drawbacks.

Nah, running away is no no for me here. I don't like to introduce this enemy just for "ok, so now you can't hurt it so just run away". I like dramatic fights in RPGs :). If players run away it should be only when they are losing a fight. If they can't even fight in first place then I don't see a point of a fight at all. Sure, I sometimes make some "introduction" of some powerful enemies, showing how powerful they are so players are like "holy cow, that's scary", but when they finally stumble into enemy - I like them to try and have a chance of defeating it.

EDIT: How the hell do I put spoiler tag here?
GZIP: Off