PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Nekhaka Scepter Drains When?

Sun 08 Dec 2019, 02:09

drains power from its wielder, who thus suffers 1 point of damage to Agility and Wits every Quarter Day she is awake.
So if my player's have this thing, when does it do this damage. When they have it with them (on their person). Only when they use it? What if they put it on a horse and don't use it for a day?

Ebrim

Re: Nekhaka Scepter Drains When?

Sun 08 Dec 2019, 04:15

I think constantly so long as they're anywhere near it. Perhaps as soon as someone actively uses it, it's attuned to them in this way, until someone else becomes the active wielder. Be prepared to think of some consequence if the players try to abuse the spirit of this. The scepter is after all inhabited by a living elf and you can ascribe some amount of intelligence to this magic.

Mr Oldtimer

Sun 08 Dec 2019, 13:01

There are some thoughts about this here.

lupex

Sun 08 Dec 2019, 13:24

I make whomever has taken ownership, or last wielded it, takes damage at the end of the quarter day.

In our group the wolfkin carries it, and uses his pathfinder talent to rest whilst leading the way, but then gets affected again before the next quarter, which still makes it a constant burden.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Alucard89

Tue 10 Dec 2019, 03:35

I rule it that it drains when it's being used - which for me means wielded. It won't drain being in the bag, backpack or at cart. But if you use it - you get drained that quarter when you used it.

Mr Oldtimer

Tue 10 Dec 2019, 11:09

I rule it that it drains when it's being used - which for me means wielded. It won't drain being in the bag, backpack or at cart. But if you use it - you get drained that quarter when you used it.
Oh, that’s too nice. The power of the scepter is too much to carry, ready to use at all times, without the cost! Great power comes at a cost. I would, however, let them have the scepter in a cart, or on their mule, without being drained...

Ebrim

Tue 10 Dec 2019, 18:07

Yeah, my temptation would be to have it drain them even if they're close to it. Magic is inherently dangerous and powerful items should be dangerous too, maybe even more so in a sense. I quite liked that statement in the previous thread about this: that (to paraphrase) whether or not to keep it or throw it in the nearest river should be a legitimate question the players ask themselves. Think of it as a great burden that may need to be carried for some very specific end where its particular power will be instrumental.

Mr Oldtimer

Tue 10 Dec 2019, 21:41

A bit like the one ring's wear on Frodo, I suppose.

Alucard89

Wed 11 Dec 2019, 01:13

Oh, that’s too nice. The power of the scepter is too much to carry, ready to use at all times, without the cost! Great power comes at a cost. I would, however, let them have the scepter in a cart, or on their mule, without being drained...
Why too nice? If it drained them like all the times they would probably just throw it away. I would if I had something that drains my stats in game where average stat is 3.... Not worth the price.

This way it has cost but it's useful. No point giving players something they won't use. I may be too nice, but I also like to have opportunity to also play with items I give players. If they won't use it at all or just throw it away - I won't have my share of fun too.

Of course, each table play as they want, but I really don't care that much about throwing stones in front of my players as to give them more opportunities to have some epic moments and stories. I have different style it seems :)

Mr Oldtimer

Wed 11 Dec 2019, 01:53

Well, at my table, the player with the scepter carried it around till he figured out why he got hurt every quarter day. He wielded that scepter in the face of everyone in his way, trying to manipulate them and with that extra D12 bonus to every roll, there wasn’t much he could not talk people into. So he took the talent to be able to rest while leading the way and now even the drawback of the scepter was acceptible. If he could manage to talk his way out of every encounter, get better prices at any store, make people do most of his bidding, I don’t count the occasional loss of empathy as too big a cost. More like balance since he didn’t need to puch his manipulation rolls any more. As of late, he usually has the scepter stoved away on his mule and only use it when they really need to. I don’t see it as throwing stones in front of my players, I just don’t pave the road either.
But you’re right. We might have different style of play but as long as both we and our players have fun, there’s nothing wrong in either way.
Cheers!