Fleuri
Topic Author

Animals and magic that does not affect monsters

Fri 08 Nov 2019, 14:53

Hello,

This issue came up in our latest session. 
A druid wanted to use 'Horrify' spell to chase away a wild boar, but boars are technically monsters (At least they are in the bestiary) and even more so, boars do not have Wits stat. I didn't allow the Druid to use the Horrify spell, but it didn't logically make much sense: The boar was attacking because it felt threatened: surely it has basic emotions to know fear.

How should this situation had been handled?

Ebrim

Re: Animals and magic that does not affect monsters

Fri 08 Nov 2019, 17:41

So the animal list isn’t part of the monster list. Boars are definitely not monsters unless you create your own demon boar.

As for horrify I still wouldn’t apply it to an animal. In this case its fight or flight in response to fear has already been triggered and it went for fight.
Last edited by Ebrim on Fri 08 Nov 2019, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Fenhorn

Fri 08 Nov 2019, 17:50

I agree with Ebrim here. The spell affect Wits, this mean that the target must have some sort of (higher-than-animal) intelligence in order to be affected. So even though animals aren't monsters, they act upon instinct.

Also, druid can't cast 'horrify', sorcerers can.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Fleuri
Topic Author

Mon 11 Nov 2019, 11:57

Thanks for the clarifications!. And yes, the character was a sorcerer, not druid. My mistake.