Elthrandil
Topic Author

Questions about combat

Sun 27 Oct 2019, 13:54

Hey,

In our last session, we had a few confusions about combat. I couldn't find any clarification in the rulebook, so I wanted to ask you guys.
1. How do you handle participants who join the combat late? Reshuffle all the initiative cards or let them draw one?
2. We used the advanced combat rules. One of the players managed to disarm the opponent. Can the opponent simply pick up the weapon at his turn, or does he have to do it with the combat cards?

Fenhorn

Re: Questions about combat

Sun 27 Oct 2019, 14:00

1. How do you handle participants who join the combat late? Reshuffle all the initiative cards or let them draw one?
He just draw a card from the remaining cards.

2. We used the advanced combat rules. One of the players managed to disarm the opponent. Can the opponent simply pick up the weapon at his turn, or does he have to do it with the combat cards?
If you use the advanced combat rules, everything you do must be done with the cards and you can't change cards in the middle of a combat round.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Elthrandil
Topic Author

Sun 27 Oct 2019, 16:25

Thanks for the clarification! :)

MegaMagus

Mon 28 Oct 2019, 03:52

To pick up the weapon would be a fast action using the PREPARE card aswell

faun

Wed 30 Oct 2019, 04:23

2. We used the advanced combat rules. 
I had a question about advanced combat rules. In my game there are mostly group fights, they may breakdown to one on one, but they also may change after the tide breaks one way or the other. In cases like this does anyone still use the advanced combat rules? if so do you have multiple decks or is there a way to do this another way.  

Is advanced combat only used if there are one on one combats when combatants are not being assisted by others? If not how do you work this at your table?

Fenhorn

Wed 30 Oct 2019, 06:15

2. We used the advanced combat rules. 
I had a question about advanced combat rules. In my game there are mostly group fights, they may breakdown to one on one, but they also may change after the tide breaks one way or the other. In cases like this does anyone still use the advanced combat rules? if so do you have multiple decks or is there a way to do this another way.  

Is advanced combat only used if there are one on one combats when combatants are not being assisted by others? If not how do you work this at your table?
2 against one you mean. If A (1) and B (2) are fighting C (3) then When it is A:s turn, A and C pick two cards each. C may have to use the Await card if he wants to have any action when it becomes B:s turn. When it is B:s turn and C have an action left, then C will have to play the Await card.

faun

Wed 06 Nov 2019, 19:10

2 against one you mean. If A (1) and B (2) are fighting C (3) then When it is A:s turn, A and C pick two cards each. C may have to use the Await card if he wants to have any action when it becomes B:s turn. When it is B:s turn and C have an action left, then C will have to play the Await card.
So essentially you'd need three sets of the cards, +1 set for each player involved. I guess I could print them out on cardstock, might be interesting to give it a shot, just to see how using advanced rules work with a group rather than limiting it to one on one.

Fenhorn

Wed 06 Nov 2019, 19:40

So essentially you'd need three sets of the cards, +1 set for each player involved. I guess I could print them out on cardstock, might be interesting to give it a shot, just to see how using advanced rules work with a group rather than limiting it to one on one.
No, you only need two sets. Only two combatants pick cards at the same time.
For example: A (init 1) and B (init 2) are fighting C (init 3). To simplify things they start the combat at Arm's Length.

Round 1
Init 1 - A and C each choose two cards for their actions for the round. A selects Strike (1st card) and Defend (2nd card). C knows that he will also face B so he chooses Defend (1st card) and Await (2nd card).
1st card: The two 1st cards are revealed and A chooses first what exact action he performs (Slash, Stab, Punch or Grapple) and then C chooses his exact actions (Dodge or Parry). Normally A will perform his action first and then C but since C is doing a reactive action they happen at the same time.
2nd card: The two 2nd cards are revealed. Since C has chosen the Await card, he doesn't perform this 2nd action (he saves it until later). A doesn't have to choose what exact action he performs since he played the Defend card and C didn't attack him. His 2nd action is wasted.

Init 2 - B and C is now choosing their cards for their actions for the round. Be selects Prepare (1st card) and Strike (2nd card). C only has one action left (a slow action). One of his cards must be the Await card. C who is a sorcerer chooses Await (1st card) and the Double Up (2nd card).
1st card: The two 1st cards are revealed and B chooses first what exact action he performs (Draw Weapon, Swing Weapon or Stand Up), he chooses Swing Weapon (he has a heavy weapon). C doesn't do anything here since he has played the Await card.
2nd card: The two 2nd cards are revealed and B now chooses what exact action he performs (Slash, Stab, Punch or Grapple). B performs his action while c does nothing since he selected the Double Up card, meaning that it counts as the Await card again.

Init 3 - C (if still alive) still has a slow action left. He is a sorcerer so he know cast his spells. Casting spells doesn't involve cards so he just cast the spells according to the rules for spell-casting. Since C is the only one with actions left, there is no point of using cards, even if he would have attacked normally or retreated or something else.