MegaMagus

Re: Converting 5E to Forbidden Land

Mon 11 Nov 2019, 12:16

Another potential idea if you guys are finding the 5e conversions easier might be to find a good OSR->5e converter online and chuck that in the sheet which then automatically converts it through the 5e->FBL converter. This might work fine? Unless there are some funny issues arising from double conversions.

lupex

Mon 11 Nov 2019, 13:29

Another potential idea if you guys are finding the 5e conversions easier might be to find a good OSR->5e converter online and chuck that in the sheet which then automatically converts it through the 5e->FBL converter. This might work fine? Unless there are some funny issues arising from double conversions.
Actually that might work for consistency basis.  Have you managed to find a conversion tool that could be used, or at least solid guidelines?

MegaMagus

Mon 11 Nov 2019, 14:53

Actually that might work for consistency basis.  Have you managed to find a conversion tool that could be used, or at least solid guidelines?
I haven't had a look yet but I'm 99% sure there would be plenty of resources out there for this purpose. I might have a little scour tomorrow.

MegaMagus

Wed 13 Nov 2019, 02:28

I found this very simple system  and an accompanying video to show its use. The issue is that this converts AC, HP, To hit bonus and Damage but does not give you all the stats such as STRENGTH, DEX etc.

Could this still be useful?

lupex

Wed 13 Nov 2019, 10:20

I found this very simple system  and an accompanying video to show its use. The issue is that this converts AC, HP, To hit bonus and Damage but does not give you all the stats such as STRENGTH, DEX etc.

For a proper conversion we would need the ability scores, otherwise we have the same info as we get from an OSR stat block.

MegaMagus

Wed 13 Nov 2019, 16:16

For a proper conversion we would need the ability scores, otherwise we have the same info as we get from an OSR stat block.
Yeh fair enough, it actually might not be so easy to find such a resource then. I imagine coming up with 6 different abilities from hit dice and morale etc would be quite hard...

lupex

Wed 13 Nov 2019, 17:06

Although I think Andy is heading in the right direction.

MegaMagus

Thu 14 Nov 2019, 02:45

Although I think Andy is heading in the right direction.
So do you think we should use Andy's method?

lupex

Thu 02 Jan 2020, 01:53

Sorry, I thought I had replied to this. I think Andy's method for Wits and Empathy is good but think his creature Strength come out a bit on the low side.

Konungr

Sun 05 Jan 2020, 11:17

A lot of powerful 5E creatures are immune to damage from non-magical weapons.  I don’t think this fully fits with Forbidden Lands.  For any conversions I was thinking of changing this to - Maximum of 1 damage from any physical attacks.

For resistance against non-magical weapons, I would just half physical damage.

Thoughts?
Instead of "maximum 1 damage" I would give them damage reduction. -x damage from physical  (to a minimum of 1) with either artifacts breaking through that (when it just needs magic) or whatever material is needed.

Like a lycanthrope would have -5 physical/silver
GZIP: Off