Thaemir
Topic Author

Forbidden Lands for new players

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 13:48

Hello!
After many months trying to start a FL game, I think I will have it relatively soon, but some questions arise. The party I'm going to be playing with are basically a person with moderate experience in RPGs and 2 or maybe 3 friends with no prior experience in RPGs whatsoever. And I think: is FL suited for a group of (mostly) newcomers? I tend to think that of course it is, but I'd like to get some advice on it to make the experience pleasant for everyone.
It may seem like a stupid question, I know, but despite having 9 years of DMing on my back, I mostly played with the same group and we were all newcomers, so we kind of grew up together as players and I'm afraid I won't be able to do a good job and make it enjoyable for them.
So: any advice?
Thanks!

Dudde

Re: Forbidden Lands for new players

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 14:09

If you have the time to prepare, I would suggest creating a one-off with pre-generated characters to allow the players to "get the feel of the game" before they start making characters of their own. I think it is important to have a basic grasp of what a character can do and how, for example, combat works, before I start trying to put a character toghether.
"Whenever I encounter a problem I can't solve, I throw a molotov-cocktail at it, and then I have a NEW problem instead."

Thaemir
Topic Author

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 15:04

My intention was to allow them to generate characters with the Legends & Adventurers booklet. So they would not bother in learning how to 'build' a character and focus better on the character's background and personality. What do you think?

lupex

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 15:59

My intention was to allow them to generate characters with the Legends & Adventurers booklet. So they would not bother in learning how to 'build' a character and focus better on the character's background and personality. What do you think?
The legends and adventurers booklet creates some really good characters. I would also roll randomly for age range, so you get a good mix. I have let my players have one veto, so they can reroll that option if they aren't feeling it.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Slam Hammerfist

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 16:03

I purposely made a group of inexperienced players, mainly because I've never played or gm'd a game myself so I wanted people on the same level as I am. We are now 16 sessions in and loving it, and I've only lost one player, do to timing issues not because she didnt like it. We jumped right in with character creation, then a dungeon I created which led to the hollows. I dont do a ton of prep, I'll just read the adventure site we are going to a few times before hand, and everything else is done on the fly. I do have a few sites I've created on hand just in case though. Also before we go to a site I'll make NPC/monster character sheets so I dont have to keep looking in the book. I created custom sheets for them, I can try and post them later if you'd like.

Thaemir
Topic Author

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 17:03

I purposely made a group of inexperienced players, mainly because I've never played or gm'd a game myself so I wanted people on the same level as I am.  We are now 16 sessions in and loving it, and I've only lost one player, do to timing issues not because she didnt like it.  We jumped right in with character creation, then a dungeon I created which led to the hollows.  I dont do a ton of prep, I'll just read the adventure site we are going to a few times before hand, and everything else is done on the fly.  I do have a few sites I've created on hand just in case though.  Also before we go to a site I'll make NPC/monster character sheets so I dont have to keep looking in the book.  I created custom sheets for them, I can try and post them later if you'd like.
I'd love to see that monster sheets! Thanks a lot!
Thank you all for the kind words. I'll try and do my best. Lets see if this time I can pull out the game!

myrsloken

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 17:11

I think the main thing is aligning expectations. What type of play is everyone expecting? Do you want lots of acting and improvisation? Number crunching? Saving maidens? Slaying monsters? World building? How about between-player conflicts? Etc. All of these are entirely valid ways to do roleplaying games, but you can't do them all at the same time. I think it could be a good idea to explicitly talk about this, either during character creation or once you are a few sessions in.

Slam Hammerfist

Sat 05 Oct 2019, 01:40

It's just a modified player sheet, but here you go. If you have any suggestions to make it better let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Xjvza ... p=drivesdk

Mr Oldtimer

Sat 05 Oct 2019, 07:43

It's just a modified player sheet, but here you go. If you have any suggestions to make it better let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Xjvza ... p=drivesdk
That is a really good looking sheet for monsters. Love the way it looks like the PC sheet and still is not the same.

pellejones

Sat 05 Oct 2019, 15:47

That looks awesome.