banskid

Pushed Rolls in Combat

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:08

I ran the game with one of my gaming groups this past weekend, and one of the player characters went in to stab a brigand with her short spear. When she missed, the player decided to push the roll (being a druid, the player also wanted more WP, I think). In pushing, the player character missed and took two points of strength damage, which broke her strength. The player was understandably upset by this, being first session and learning the rules and whatnot, but I couldn't think of a way to present the result narratively beyond "your character overexerted herself." What would have been a better way to do this? Personally, I enjoy this system a lot, and it may not be this player's cup of tea. But is there a more satisfying way to explain why the character's pushed roll resulted in her dropping to the ground and mumbling through the pain?

lupex

Re: Pushed Rolls in Combat

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:11

How about they over exerted themselves which gave the enemy a chance for a counterattack?

Ebrim

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:13

Yeah, like she went all in and left herself exposed to the enemy who struck her down. In this case to try and go for a big attack she threw caution to the wind and launched herself at the enemy. That said, it really should be players who describe what themselves pushing a roll looks like. Maybe her experience would have been a bit better if she could have owned it narratively?

Fenhorn

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:19

My dad cut himself in his leg with an axe some years ago. Perhaps he was pushing himself when he was cutting firewood  :idea:
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

banskid

Thu 03 Oct 2019, 05:11

How about they over exerted themselves which gave the enemy a chance for a counterattack?
Ebrim:
Yeah, like she went all in and left herself exposed to the enemy who struck her down. In this case to try and go for a big attack she threw caution to the wind and launched herself at the enemy. That said, it really should be players who describe what themselves pushing a roll looks like. Maybe her experience would have been a bit better if she could have owned it narratively?
I was thinking going that direction. I'll definitely make sure that it's the players describing what pushing their roll looks like. Thanks all!

faun

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 06:32

To me pushing a roll is best if the character describes what they are doing, and understanding the drawbacks. My players fight to push rolls, and are bummed when either I don't let them roll at all, or when the single success is needed.

Pushing as a mechanic is always about over reaching, giving it all you've got, going beyond what you've done before, trying something, anything, to do more. The risk taking and getting out on a limb sometimes hurts. When you break yourself you don't roll on the crit charts, but you make it easier for a foe to take advantage of your condition and do that extra damage that will place you in mortal danger. 

Working into the narrative the heroics that were attempted, the probable successes that were achieved by pushing this or using your pride if even after a push you didn't get a success has made some of the most rewarding stories that are retold by my group time after time. Nothing better than breaking yourself, your weapon, and delivering the crit blow to the adversary by rolling your pride. Doesn't happen often but it is perfect when it does. 

Really that's why WP is so beautiful as a mechanic, it rewards gutsy play and lets you know ahead of time if the push will cause problems (if there are banes showing).

Konungr

Sat 05 Oct 2019, 17:35

I especially agree with Faun's WP bit.

Even other FL games don't quite have the WP element that makes pushing rolls so good in Forbidden Lands. Heavy risk, heavy reward. It's great. And it gets players out there acting out.

hperantunes

Sat 05 Oct 2019, 20:11

To me pushing a roll is best if the character describes what they are doing, and understanding the drawbacks. My players fight to push rolls, and are bummed when either I don't let them roll at all, or when the single success is needed.

Pushing as a mechanic is always about over reaching, giving it all you've got, going beyond what you've done before, trying something, anything, to do more. The risk taking and getting out on a limb sometimes hurts. When you break yourself you don't roll on the crit charts, but you make it easier for a foe to take advantage of your condition and do that extra damage that will place you in mortal danger. 

Working into the narrative the heroics that were attempted, the probable successes that were achieved by pushing this or using your pride if even after a push you didn't get a success has made some of the most rewarding stories that are retold by my group time after time. Nothing better than breaking yourself, your weapon, and delivering the crit blow to the adversary by rolling your pride. Doesn't happen often but it is perfect when it does. 

Really that's why WP is so beautiful as a mechanic, it rewards gutsy play and lets you know ahead of time if the push will cause problems (if there are banes showing).

Indeed. I've started to require my players to describe what they're doing when they push a roll - though they're not taking it very seriously yet.

I may eventually rule that if a player can't come up with a reasonable in-game description of what they are doing different, for justifying the extra dice, they're not allowed to push that roll in particular.

Ebrim

Sun 06 Oct 2019, 06:24

Indeed. I've started to require my players to describe what they're doing when they push a roll - though they're not taking it very seriously yet.

I may eventually rule that if a player can't come up with a reasonable in-game description of what they are doing different, for justifying the extra dice, they're not allowed to push that roll in particular.
Yeah, I think I'm going to start doing this too. I haven't required it yet, per se, but more and more even in tonight's session earlier I really was asking for descriptions of what pushing looked like.

SpandexAndy

Mon 07 Oct 2019, 07:58

Pushing Rolls is the main way my players get Broken. But with a Bard in the group, or a friend who can use the Recovery action, it is only a minor inconvenience.
GZIP: Off