hperantunes

Re: Redrunner Stats

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 02:40

Why do redrunner elves have 15 dice worth of stats? Shouldn't all elves have 14?

Or is there a way to increase attributes I missed? 

NPCs don't follow the same creation rules as Player Characters - none of the "Typical X" NPC entries in the Gamemaster's Guide have kin talents, for example.

Therefore, NPCs don't need to have the same total amount of attribute points as PCs.

Tywyll

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 10:35

I'm well aware of rule 0, believe me.

That isn't the point. 

The point is the rules are describing the world and setting. In the rules, all elves are X. I get things that are <X because decrepitude, laziness, etc. But if players can't become +X, then unless there is a story reason, I don't see why NPCs can. That's the issue. I know I can do whatever I want, but the writers choose to do this. This leaves me puzzled. 

Part of the issue is I disagree that stats cannot improve. It's an antiquated idea from Gygax that represents a poor understanding of human growth and potential. But in the game they can't, so I either change that or accept it and move on.

If I accept it, then I am left looking at an otherwise normal elf who somehow breaks that rule, with no explanation given. That's a poor design choice in my opinion (or it was a mistake in writing the stats). If the redrunners all absorbed magic from the rubies they retrieve or something, then so be it, but they don't. If they were powered by demons, okay, cool, but they don't do that either. They are just racist elves...so unless racism grants power somehow in FL, I'm left scratching my head.

hperantunes

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 14:30

I'm not invoking Rule Zero, I'm bringing to your attention the fact that rules-as-written, NPCs in this game literally follow different creation rules than PCs.

That's why typical Redrunners or other elves are not restricted to the same amount of attribute points that PCs have. :)

Konungr

Thu 03 Oct 2019, 05:50

The players are not all Elves. They are specific elves in balance with other player characters. That doesn't mean other NPCs are incapable of exceeding the player norm. It just means the players are the player norm. The players do not represent the racial peak capabilities and you have no reason to believe they do.

faun

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 06:37

The players are not all Elves. They are specific elves in balance with other player characters. That doesn't mean other NPCs are incapable of exceeding the player norm. It just means the players are the player norm. The players do not represent the racial peak capabilities and you have no reason to believe they do.
i think what some of the comments were getting to is that elves can start as old, yet not have to decrease the number of attribute points allotted like other characters do.  
GZIP: Off