Tywyll

Redrunner Stats

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 13:51

Why do redrunner elves have 15 dice worth of stats? Shouldn't all elves have 14?

Or is there a way to increase attributes I missed? 

Fenhorn

Re: Redrunner Stats

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 14:03

... and the unruly only have 12. These are NPCs. They are made this way as a balance to PCs.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Tywyll

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:05

So all Redrunners are innately more powerful than PCs can ever be? That seems...off. 

I get NPCs being less powerful, to account for commoners and non-adventurers. But there not anything magical or overly special about Redrunners is there? 

Fenhorn

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:13

So all Redrunners are innately more powerful than PCs can ever be? That seems...off. 

I get NPCs being less powerful, to account for commoners and non-adventurers. But there not anything magical or overly special about Redrunners is there? 
These are only generic stats. They are to be used by the GM on the fly if he needs them.

If the GM wants NPCs that are something more than just generic, he create them himself, as he see fit. He can use the generic ones as a guideline if he wants to. I usually have some NPCs, done by me that are based on the generic, but with more flavour, ready to be used if the players run into them and if they players run into an NPC that I haven't prepared, then I use the generic.

Generic NPCs is just generic, they don't evolve or become something, player do. So since the players do become better, they can become extremely much better than generic NPCs. NPCs made by the GM himself on the other hand can be as good as the GM allows.

Ebrim

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:17

If you want, change their stats for your game or for a specific NPC. They're a warrior-caste of fanatics and elite agents, they're meant to be significant, but any individual within the group could be quite different from the generic. Think of this more as an idea generator or template, or quick and dirty reference, rather than a fully realized NPC ready to be thrown into the game.

Tywyll

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 16:24

I guess I would rather just see pcs able to reach their same level of ability. 

lupex

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 16:43

But PCs can increase thier skills or talents, but the NPCs are always stuck in the moment of time they were put in the book, with no progression or capacity to gain xp.

Tywyll

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 17:18

But PCs can increase thier skills or talents, but the NPCs are always stuck in the moment of time they were put in the book, with no progression or capacity to gain xp.
Says what? Where does it say the GM can't modify/improve NPC stats? 

I mean the people up above are specifically saying to modify the NPC stats. So which is it? They are modifiable or they aren't? 

Even if it did, however, the Redrunners still have increased their core stats which is apparently impossible for a PC. 

Fenhorn

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 17:28

Says what? Where does it say the GM can't modify/improve NPC stats? 
Even if it did, however, the Redrunners still have increased their core stats which is apparently impossible for a PC. 
The stats of NPCs are what the GM wants them to be. If the GM wants to change them, of course he can. If the GM wants to have an NPC that is in the game more than just a one off, of course he can adjust the stats to reflect time. But the generic NPCs in the book are just that, generic. They are meant to be used by the GM on the fly as a challenge for the players if they happens to run into them. NPCs that.

If you are not happy with the generic NPCs in the book, make your own.

lupex

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 18:23

You are at liberty to change, adapt, reduce or increase any NPCs stat in any way, that is the GMs choice, but what I'm saying is that for those Redrunners they are stuck at the point the author put them in the book. They are a formidable opponent as written but could actually be more dangerous to PCs with lower attributes but with a higher skill level or additional talents that enable them to cause damage easier or bypass armour etc.

The thing with the generic NPCs is that depending when they meet an adventuring party they could be a real challenge but the player characters will grow and gain more skills or talents, being able to surpass the generic NPCs in other ways if they meet again later. The writer can't always anticipate how a GM will use an NPC so the stats presented are just a snapshot view of that NPC at that particular moment.

In other words, do whatever you want for your game if you don't agree with he writers interpretation of he NPCs.

Have fun.
GZIP: Off