Morgoth
Topic Author

Elementalism Magic Path

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 11:39

So any ideas what kind of spells the Elementalism Path will contain? I had always been disappointed with the spells the Sorcerer (and the Druid) received. Yes I know this is not D&D or the like, but every other class gets Talents to give them a massive edge in fighting, including against monsters such as The Path of the Arrow or Path of the Blade etc. The Sorcerer only gets Immolate, Stone Storm and Hand of Doom as attack spells with any weight. Of those only Stone Storm and Immolate can work on monsters and Immolate requires an open fire or torch. Most other spells don't even work on monsters, making Sorcerers pretty much a dead weight if coming across a monster. Sure they can attack with weapons but a Sorc. will likely not have the best stats in Str and Melee nor the best armor (low Str and the fact that the best armor will be prioritized by the fighting professions)

I'm hoping for something like Lightning (calling lightning from the sky), Conjuring Mists to obscure the party, Setting an opponent Ablaze by summoning fire, Blinding someone with a Flash of Light, etc.

What about you?

Eldhierta

Re: Elementalism Magic Path

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 11:59

So any ideas what kind of spells the Elementalism Path will contain? I had always been disappointed with the spells the Sorcerer (and the Druid) received. Yes I know this is not D&D or the like, but every other class gets Talents to give them a massive edge in fighting, including against monsters such as The Path of the Arrow or Path of the Blade etc. The Sorcerer only gets Immolate, Stone Storm and Hand of Doom as attack spells with any weight. Of those only Stone Storm and Immolate can work on monsters and Immolate requires an open fire or torch. Most other spells don't even work on monsters, making Sorcerers pretty much a dead weight if coming across a monster. Sure they can attack with weapons but a Sorc. will likely not have the best stats in Str and Melee nor the best armor (low Str and the fact that the best armor will be prioritized by the fighting professions)

I'm hoping for something like Lightning (calling lightning from the sky), Conjuring Mists to obscure the party, Setting an opponent Ablaze by summoning fire, Blinding someone with a Flash of Light, etc.

What about you?
Some new offensive spells, for sure. I still think you're misunderstanding magic-users in FL though. Your Attributes, worn armour or skills have no effect on your ability to cast spells. A barbarian wielding a two-handed battleaxe, in full plate, with a Melee skill of 5, Strength of 5 and Path of Blood tier 2 is just as good a sorcerer as an old sage draped in cloth, wielding a staff, with a Lore skill of 5, Intelligence of 5 and Path of Blood tier 2. Magic doesn't care if you're a wise scholar or a blood-crazed warrior, it just flows to those gifted with the ability to use it.

Magnus Seter

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:02

(Takes notes)

:-D

/Magnus

Ebrim

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:30

I feel like elemental magic must be heavily dependent upon, well, the elements. Spells that rely on manipulating water will need the presence of water, perhaps a lot of it. For fire, there has to be fire around, etc. I also want it to be a bit wild and unpredictable (like the elements). Maybe if there's a lightning storm present, you'll have the ability to call lightning, but the result of that should be variable. Maybe the lightning strikes a nearby tree, a friend, or an enemy or maybe everyone. Maybe just the boom of the thunder has a wits attack. I don't know, it seems like it's going to be a tricky one to get right. I'm also curious how it's going to be different (or similar) to elemental magic effects we already have like the Stone Singer Path or the Druid's weather abilities - to say nothing of the new Druid Frost Affinity which I'm even more excited for.

Maldion

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 11:29

i did make light magic on the swedish.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwt562qgit5s0 ... .docx?dl=0