Brior

Re: Elf Lore vs Elf Rules

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 09:46

Having made this up in the first place, my thought was that regrowing your body from the ruby would indeed take a long time, and that an elf in the game is not diminished as such but more a snapshot of the elf at that stage.

This said, you can of course handle it as you see fit in your own game. Perhaps there is a quick-growth process that comes at a severe price in functionality or self appreciation and mental stability, but that might be feasible under certain circumstances. I would think you still need a master and perhaps the stillmist do do this rather than having shapeshifting abilities on the fly, but again that just my opinion. Consider that an elf might despise such a quick-fix as being unworthy and an estethical and mental self-mutilation. The drawbacks might be countered if you can convince yourself that there´s a really worthy reason to change quickly.

Possibilities more than restrictions as I see it.

Tywyll

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 11:12

That’s fair but I’d say being able to grow a new body itself is pretty awesome no matter how long it takes. I think it’s important to remember that time is very different for Elves. You could lose a lot of their flavor by trying to cram their features into human time scales.

Either way, you’ll probably have a much better idea of what your players will think is fun and engaging. :)
Yeah, that's all true. I would like to see it happen in game potentially.

I'm thinking that maybe if an elf ruby lacks 10 wp, it might take between a year and a century (depending on conditions) to generate each point of willpower missing. So if maybe carried and cared for lovingly, it will take a year per WP. If left in some wild and pristine locale it might take a decade per point and if in some foul, demon haunted place it might take a century per point. So in most cases, it still removes the character from play (barring resurrection), unless they were very near 10 WP and then cared for by friends and family (and you have a particularly long running campaign with lots of down time). 

faun

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 06:21

I like the idea of possibilities, a quest to bring back a long lost elf who can do something for the world but only in a body, or a PC who has unfinished business and it needs to be done in far less time than the century process used in the still mist, or becoming an ent, or any other process would take. There would have to be a quest for the knowledge, a quest for the place/items/etc, the nemesis who hears of this and has his own elven paramour or buddy that he has been carrying the ruby for. A race to the end, a sacrifice, and the chance for something awesome or a TPK, all good.

I'm don't think it would be something known, or that would be prepared for, but something searched for when the need was great. I definitely wouldn't create a process, or a simple thing like having a maxed WP or that the sages in Stillmist would do this for anyelf, even one as important as the PCs think their friend is. 

Tywyll

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 13:04

Why would elves be ignorant of the process? They've been around forever. I know their memory can be dodgy but that seems fairly integral to your well being.

Also, why would the Stillmist be necessary? Assumedly, elves could do this before the Stillmist was created. So while powerful druids might be necessary for certain cases (and what counts as a powerful druid really, do they have Talents at 4 or something? Or are they just Healing 3 Druids?) I'm unclear on what's happening here.

faun

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 16:41

Why would elves be ignorant of the process? They've been around forever. I know their memory can be dodgy but that seems fairly integral to your well being.

Also, why would the Stillmist be necessary? Assumedly, elves could do this before the Stillmist was created. So while powerful druids might be necessary for certain cases (and what counts as a powerful druid really, do they have Talents at 4 or something? Or are they just Healing 3 Druids?) I'm unclear on what's happening here.
in my game there are lots of reasons this would be true. Elves are diverse, only a few have studied arts beyond comprehension and are still around, many have moved on to ents, or are just rubies to be consulted. In my game no elf still alive knows of the separation of the white pearl from the bodies of the now halflings/goblin race, and only a few rubies might be around that have elves with that knowledge and fewer still that would talk of it. Also in my game only NPCs at this time can practice Rank 4 or higher magic. I've pegged the proper ability to Rank 5, which limits those that would be exposed to or have that knowledge. I've also set up a plan for sacrifice of something to gain something, xygofer and his daughter come to mind, so not many elves would wish to or be able to sacrifice something of themselves to meet the criteria for a nearly instant rebirth, and because there is a much easier and much safer method of rebirth that still happens in a time frame they are willing/happy to make most have rid themselves of the burdens of carrying any other memories of any other process, because why remember something difficult and unobtainable when the beautiful solution is right in front of you. Sure they may be able to make a difficult lore roll if give some book of knowledge or a prompt of some song that has an odd original phrase that was replaced by a more acceptable phrase, or some such but they wouldn't know much, and maybe only a name of who might know more. 
At least in the game I ref hope to keep playing long enough for it to be something that happens. In my game 3 of the 5 rolled elves as a their kin, so it may be more likely than not.
GZIP: Off