Tywyll

Elf Lore vs Elf Rules

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 09:43

So in the world lore for the Forbidden Lands, elves seem to be able to do a lot of things vis-a-vis their gems that there are no rules for.
Shed their flesh
Reclaim a body, on their own, from their gem
Be restored from their gem

Why is this the case? I'd like elves to work as described in the legends and lore as I can't find anything to indicate that the elves of modern FL are somehow 'diminished'. Have I missed something?

I'm not saying the above should be easy for a PC, but I think they should be achievable. 

Morgoth

Re: Elf Lore vs Elf Rules

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 11:47

Good point. Assuming that is not simple mythology and actually happened in the game world, perhaps there could be an Elven magical Path that has spells allowing that?

Fenhorn

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 12:00

Perhaps all of those things takes time, something that is no problem for elves but for anyone else and for the time frame for the campaign.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

Tywyll

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 13:46

That is probably the canon answer, but it doesn't actually seem to fit with the legends and is frankly boring. Why shouldn't PCs accomplish legendary acts?

Here's something I just came up with to keep the lore and the mechanics in sync. 

Shedding the Flesh
An elf who has accumulated 10 Will Power and is level 3 in at least one class talent can choose to shed their flesh. This discorporates them and returns their essence to their gem. An elf who has shed their flesh has limited awareness of events and time passing around them, but when held (or embedded in an object) they can communicate with their holder in their dreams. At a later date they may spend 10 Willpower and refashion their body. This takes a full day. 

Changing Form
An elf who has gained level 3 in at least 3 of their profession talents can, when refashioning their bodies, choose to change their physical form. This change allows them to take the form of any other humanoid kin, sex, or other details as they see fit. At a later date, they can refashion themselves to return to their original form if they desire. 

Returning to Life,
Elves are always treated has having been dead for no more than a quarter day, as their essence remains pure in their gem. Upon returning to life, so long as their gems were not somehow corrupted, elves lose their highest level talent (they choose if they have several tied) instead of losing a point of Empathy. 

Ebrim

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 15:39

So we talked a lot previously about what Elvish regeneration looked like. This has been clarified a bit with the second printing, that Inner Peace for example can't regrow limbs. That's not to say that Elves can't regrow their limbs, perhaps they can, but it takes long enough that it's not practical for a 6-hour period. Perhaps an Elf that has suffered that level of trauma actually needs to regrow a new body in order to have all her limbs.

You absolutely could have an Elf shed their flesh as a PC but in my mind that's essentially retiring the PC. Growing a new body, even if it's at a "magical" rate that is more than normal healing for other Kin likely takes years. It also takes special understanding. This isn't something an Elf can do themselves, they are taken to elders in the Stillmist to grow new bodies, it could be an amazing end to a campaign for a party to take their elf friend back to the Stillmist to be reborn.

As for changing form, while maybe it shouldn't be impossible for an Elf PC, the Elves who do this are probably not the conventional adventuring type. In my mind all Elves who adventure are "unruly" going by the lore. They are perhaps young, by their standards, and aren't content to be still or pursue the other more eccentric paths of their fellow kin - not yet anyway.

Tywyll

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 16:26

Granted the details are sparse, but there is nothing in the Legends that depict elves taking on new bodies (often without help mind!) that indicates it was a years long process. 

lupex

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 16:39

Granted the details are sparse, but there is nothing in the Legends that depict elves taking on new bodies (often without help mind!) that indicates it was a years long process. 
But there isn't really anything to say it is a quicker process either.

Tywyll

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 17:17

Hence me saying the details were sparse. 

That being the case, I'm happy to rule on the side of awesome. 

Ebrim

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 18:19

That’s fair but I’d say being able to grow a new body itself is pretty awesome no matter how long it takes. I think it’s important to remember that time is very different for Elves. You could lose a lot of their flavor by trying to cram their features into human time scales.

Either way, you’ll probably have a much better idea of what your players will think is fun and engaging. :)

hperantunes

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 02:26

So in the world lore for the Forbidden Lands, elves seem to be able to do a lot of things vis-a-vis their gems that there are no rules for.
Shed their flesh
Reclaim a body, on their own, from their gem
Be restored from their gem

Why is this the case? I'd like elves to work as described in the legends and lore as I can't find anything to indicate that the elves of modern FL are somehow 'diminished'. Have I missed something?

I'm not saying the above should be easy for a PC, but I think they should be achievable. 

As some people have mentioned already, the lore on elves as described in the Gamemaster's Guide suggests that things that take a lot of time, from the perspective of other kin, are normal for the immortal kin.

Because of that, in my campaign I also assume that some of the elves' special abilities simply take years, decades or even centuries to fully execute. So, for gameplay and balance purposes in my campaign, the list of abilities listed for elves in the Player's Handbook is precisely what a player character of that kin can expect to do in regular campaign time.

If for some elves, "songs that have taken less than two hundred years to compose are not worth listening to" (Gamemaster's Guide), a few decades is surely an adequate amount of time for regrowing a body.
GZIP: Off