Tywyll

Re: General Game Play Question

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 10:37

I play Forbidden Lands online in Fantasy Grounds, so I reveal the fog of war on the world map as they explore. They can see one hex away form the current one, two if they are crossing a mountain pass or some other height that will allow to see the landscape ahead and no extra hex if they cross a forest. 
That would be my preference if I could do it in meatspace, but that's kind of hard (unless I keep the map secret and force them to make their own I suppose).

michael

Thu 03 Oct 2019, 09:32

I play Forbidden Lands online in Fantasy Grounds, so I reveal the fog of war on the world map as they explore. They can see one hex away form the current one, two if they are crossing a mountain pass or some other height that will allow to see the landscape ahead and no extra hex if they cross a forest. 
That would be my preference if I could do it in meatspace, but that's kind of hard (unless I keep the map secret and force them to make their own I suppose).
It's possible. I haven't shown my players the main map, since we've only run a couple of sessions so far, with the PCs being tossed over the Iron Lock as the starting point for the campaign.

The PCs now have to explore the world, the setting and its inhabitants as we go along -- and the players learn these things through the eyes of their characters.

Instead of using the printed map we got with the game, I used the photoshop map that FL posted on another thread of this forum, and printed two versions of it using different layers.
  • On a sturdy paper (120gsm) I printed a 2x2 A4 (4 papers in total) with only the frame, hexagons and a background.
  • On a self adhesive photo paper (for normal printers) I printed the full map, with all the details.
From there, it's just cutting out the hexagons from the self adhesive paper, and sticking them to the equivalent hexagon of the sturdy paper as the players explore. Example with the lower left corner of the map below. Notes can be done on the sturdy map part, for things the players can see in the distance (mountains), or any information or rumours they hear about.

https://imgur.com/Yf3z9A5

I will buy a stretched canvas in the future and glue the four sturdy papers for the players to have a full map to explore on.

--

I really like the idea of buying a map (or a piece of the map) from the airship dwarf stuck in a tree. Really clever! Will probably use that if the PCs happen on the guy...

Valyar

Thu 03 Oct 2019, 09:57

Neatly done!!!

I like the idea and I might go with such one if I ever play in around the table :D

faun

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 08:07

Instead of using the printed map we got with the game, I used the photoshop map that FL posted on another thread of this forum, and printed two versions of it using different layers. 
Do you recall the thread? If found viewtopic.php?f=78&t=3960 for the map/stickers but what about just the background, or is that using the PSD but removing some layers of the map? I don't think I have an app that will do that, I'll check.

michael

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 13:08

Yes, I used the file from this post: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=3960&start=10#p32506

I used Photoshop to select the layers I needed, but I believe that the free and open source alternative GIMP (https://www.gimp.org/) can do this too.

Hope that helps!
GZIP: Off