Tywyll

General Game Play Question

Mon 30 Sep 2019, 15:30

Hey, 
I was reading the pdfs recently and I had a couple of questions:
When players are exploring, are they allowed to see the map? Like do they have 'god mode map view' enabled?

Also, am I reading it correctly that characters can potentially walk 80 kilometres in open terrain a day? 

Slam Hammerfist

Re: General Game Play Question

Mon 30 Sep 2019, 15:56

Do you mean the world map or the adventure site maps? For the world map I do let them use the physical map, only because one of the characters has a map in her inventory. For the adventure site maps I usually only show them the village maps and not the castle or dungeon ones that show them all the paths to go. As for walking, they can walk 2 hexes per quarter day in open terrain, 1 in rough terrain. You can only hike for 2 quarters of the day, so you can walk 4 hexes in a day unless you force March in which you can now walk 6 hexes a day. Each hex is 10 km so you can walk 40-60km in open terrain.

lupex

Mon 30 Sep 2019, 16:14

Hey, 
I was reading the pdfs recently and I had a couple of questions:
When players are exploring, are they allowed to see the map? Like do they have 'god mode map view' enabled?

Also, am I reading it correctly that characters can potentially walk 80 kilometres in open terrain a day? 
I have built into the story that they were given a map by a blind fellow prisoner, an old man with rags wrapped around his head, covering his eyes....this may become relevant at some point.....

Ebrim

Mon 30 Sep 2019, 16:16

So yeah, the original intent is that the world is open to them and they can see the map and decide where to go. Forbidden Lands is very much designed around maximizing player agency in a sandbox. That being said, they don't know what's "in" that map. While generally the idea is that the marked villages, castles, and dungeons are adventure sites of that type they have no idea what they'll find when they get there. They may have some idea through legends or rumors but that's really it.

As for travelling 80km in a day. It's absolutely possible but my players haven't done it yet. You can travel two quarter days through open terrain just fine so that's around a maximum of 40km. If you want to add a third quarter day then you probably run into the problem of light if it's not summer but even then you still have to make a forced march check. Lastly, you can travel the fourth quarter day but that requires an even more difficult forced march check and you're definitely in the dark which complicates things more. So yeah, possible, but it'll be a memorable event if they pull it off. And we're not even mentioning that characters will fail pathfinder checks semi-routinely which can lead to all sorts of wandering shenanigans or running into random encounters, etc.

EDIT: There are talents that could allow, probably just an individual character, to perform some absolutely heroic travel distances in a day. But that's like Gandalf and Shadowfax kind of stuff and would seem incredibly dangerous unless you have a small party of Aslene Way of the Steppe Riders.

Tywyll

Mon 30 Sep 2019, 16:31

Okay, I didn't catch the forced march rule. Also upon doing some googling I see the world record is something like 175km in one day so, fair enough!

It feels weird to me to give the players the map, but I suppose if the conceit is that the maps exist somehow, so be it. Though that begs the question of why they don't mention old settlements and such (surely they had to come before the Blood Mist) so you think those things would be marked? I guess I'm just having difficulty wrapping my head around the disconnect between the PCs and the Players with the physical artefact. 

Ebrim

Mon 30 Sep 2019, 16:39

Major old settlements are indeed on the map like Wailer's Hold, Alderstone, and Falender. They are ruins now (and whatever else you want them to be) but they are there and they are fixed. Those were the only things Ravenland ever had that were akin to cities. As for the villages and the like that exist now, even if they've been around for a while, they're not significant enough that anyone would be expected to know of their existence. You can work out with your players if you want where any particular location is say from their backstory and it could literally be anywhere on the map but that may not be super important, it depends on the type of game you're running.

As for the geography in general, I just figure the players can get a decent idea of the world around them through travelling through it. Usually what the coastline looks like isn't super relevant unless you're actually near enough to intuit it from travel so I don't worry about it so much. As you play you're actually creating a much more important map through play which you might think of as another layer. Where things are, where you've been, what you've encountered, where Harald the Unready got murdered by a demon, etc.

Valyar

Mon 30 Sep 2019, 16:58

I play Forbidden Lands online in Fantasy Grounds, so I reveal the fog of war on the world map as they explore. They can see one hex away form the current one, two if they are crossing a mountain pass or some other height that will allow to see the landscape ahead and no extra hex if they cross a forest. 

hperantunes

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 02:57

Yes.

The Player's Handbook (p.9) describes the map as "the centerpiece of the game", so in a default campaign the players are expected to see it.

Emperyan

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 05:47

I had my group meet "The Dwarf Balloon Pilot" (random encounter #16) in the opening session and, in thanks for rescuing him from the tree, he gave them a "rough" aerial  map of the Raven Lands (i.e. the game map). It's enough to navigate by but missing critical details :)

Tywyll

Wed 02 Oct 2019, 10:35

I had my group meet "The Dwarf Balloon Pilot" (random encounter #16) in the opening session and, in thanks for rescuing him from the tree, he gave them a "rough" aerial  map of the Raven Lands (i.e. the game map). It's enough to navigate by but missing critical details :)
Oh, that's a fantastic idea!
GZIP: Off