PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Magic Guide

Mon 16 Sep 2019, 21:44

Can anyone share a guide or reference with rules and steps? I've read the magic rules a couple of times and am still confused.

Fenhorn

Re: Magic Guide

Mon 16 Sep 2019, 22:39

1) Choose a spell to cast and target for. You can only cast spells that is of equal or lower rank than your rank in the magic tradition in question.
2) Choose Power Level (PL) for the spell. Each PL costs you 1 WP. You get a bonus PL if you the ingredient for the spell (most often consumed). Half-Elves kin talent also gives you a bonus PL (that counts as you have spent a WP).
3) A spell will always succeed, but you have to roll a base dice for each WP spent (this is why the Half-Elf bonus PL counts as if he has spent a WP). If any of those dice ends up with a Bane (1s) the spell causes a misfire (it still will succeed). It doesn't matter how many Banes you got. If any of those dice ended up with Crossed Swords (6s) the spell overcharges which means that the spells PL increases with +1 for each Crossed Swords you rolled.

Special Rule - Safe casting
If the sell you cast has a lower rank than your rank in the magic tradition for the spell, then you can if you want, roll less base dice when you see if the spell misfires/overcharges. You can roll one less dice per rank that the spell is lower than your rank. If you use some sort of written works for the spell (i.e. grimoire) then the spell counts as being one step lower than it actually is (giving you an option to cast it safer if you want to).

Special Rule - Chance casting
You can cast a spell that is one rank higher than your rank in the spells magic tradition, but if you do, the spell automatically misfires. You can still roll the misfire/overcharge dice because the spell can still overcharge.

Special Rule - Grimoire
To write down a spell, you must first have cast it (and chance casting doesn't count). You need to make a successful Lore skill roll and spend a quarter day to do it and yes, you need a parchment and some ink and pen. To write down a ritual takes twice as long.

Is it something specific that needs to be explained ?
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Ebrim

Mon 16 Sep 2019, 22:54

I don't have a premade guide but I hope this helps:
1) Caster determines how many WP she wants to power the spell.
2) If Caster is Half-Elf, add 1 to that.
3) The total from steps 1 and 2 is the Base Power Level.
4) The Caster rolls dice = Base Power Level
5) Any 6's rolled increase Power Level by 1, any 1's result in a mishap (mishap is a binary function, only yes or no for spell, number of 1's don't matter)
6) Spell's power level = Base Power Level + 6's from step 5 + 1 from relevant ingredient if you choose to use one.

If you cast a spell at a rank 1 higher than your talent, follow the above except that a mishap always happens.
If you cast a spell at a rank less than your talent, you may decrease the number of dice you roll by 1 for every point of difference between your talent and the spell. So if you have talent 3 and are casting a rank 1 spell, you could spend 2 WP to get a power level of 2 but roll no dice. This is safe-casting.

PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Mon 16 Sep 2019, 23:11

If you have Rank 1 in a Talent and cast a Rank 1 spell from a Grimoire with 1 WP you don't have to roll any base dice right?

myrsloken

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 09:16

If you have Rank 1 in a Talent and cast a Rank 1 spell from a Grimoire with 1 WP you don't have to roll any base dice right?
To be more specific: if you use 1 WP to cast a rank 1 spell using a grimoire while being rank 1, by default you roll 1 die, but you can choose to roll 0 dice.

hperantunes

Wed 18 Sep 2019, 06:50

Special Rule - Grimoire
To write down a spell, you must first have cast it (and chance casting doesn't count)...

Hi Fenhorn, I'm curious about the part of your comment I've highlighted: is this a house rule or the books specifically say a character can't write down into a grimoire a spell previously cast with the "chance casting" option?

Edit: nevermind my question above - the text entry for Grimoires in the Player's handbook (p.120) is another change introduced in the second printing that wasn't included in the official list of changes published by Fria Ligan!

Indeed, a player's character can no longer have access to Rank 3 spells in the first quarter day of a campaign by chance-casting spells into a grimoire. Excellent!

Morgoth

Sat 28 Sep 2019, 19:02

Can you chance cast a power level 3 spell even if you have a Talent Rank II only of the Spell Path?

Like if my PC has Death Magic II can he chance cast a power level III spell?

Fenhorn

Sat 28 Sep 2019, 19:08

Can you chance cast a power level 3 spell even if you have a Talent Rank II only of the Spell Path?

Like if my PC has Death Magic II can he chance cast a power level III spell?
You can chance cast any spell that is one rank above your Discipline Rank. So if you have Death Magic Rank 2, you can chance cast any Common Rank 3 and Death Magic Rank 3 spells.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore