PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Human Cultures, Slavery

Sun 15 Sep 2019, 16:44

My general impression is that, as a shorthand, in terms of technology and culture

the Aslene are like a combination of Vikings and Mongols from the Dark Ages;
the Alderlanders are like Saxons from the Dark Ages.

How common was slavery to these 2 cultures in the game outside of the Forbidden Lands? 

Elthrandil

Re: Human Cultures, Slavery

Sun 15 Sep 2019, 19:26

My general impression is that, as a shorthand, in terms of technology and culture

How common was slavery to these 2 cultures in the game outside of the Forbidden Lands? 
I picture the Aslene most of the time like the Rohirim from Lord of the Rings :D - but I think Vikings with horses instead of boats are a good despriction too.
My general impression of the Aslene is that they despise slavery. I think it is somewhere written that they do not even have fences, because they say that the land and animals belong to everyone. Nevertheless I think it ist also stated that they have a strict hierachy.

The Alderlanders look for me more like stereotypical/civilized knights. They have a lot of technology and built things like the Iron Locket.
I think the books hint that Alderland is very overcrowded so my guess is that the nobles pretty much abuse their feudal system.

PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Sun 15 Sep 2019, 19:56

That makes sense. So no slavery for the Aslenes (I remember a quote like that too) and probably serf / indentured servant kind of thing for the Alderland (if anyone remembers)

Ebrim

Sun 15 Sep 2019, 21:05

Yeah, I don't think the nomadic Aslenes (particularly the Galdenes) would have all that much use for slaves so it's probably something they don't engage in. Though it probably wouldn't be strange for them to sell captives as slaves to other people if they're going that way anyway. Settled Aslenes are much more akin to Ailanders who I feel wouldn't really engage in slavery. They came themselves as refugees so I imagine them (I may be wrong) as being slightly more egalitarian than Alderlanders. There are examples from adventure sites and from GM materials that certainly suggest that slavery exists - probably more in the form of Eastern European serfdom than chattel slavery I'd guess. Manpower is scarce across the Raveland so the ability to force some people to stay and work a piece of land would probably be valued among landowners. Not to mention offering them over to the Rust Brothers as sacrifice. This is something you'd probably find mostly in the Southwest of Ravenland, within the direct influence of Vond which for me makes the most sense in the vicinity of Alderstone.

These are just interpretations though of course, your Forbidden Lands could be much different.

Brior

Mon 16 Sep 2019, 08:04

Just a note that my inspiration for the Aslene mostly came from the Parthians and Scythians. The whole rough attitude in Ravenland is however nordic in character. This said I didn't delve deeply into research, but rather took inspiration.

Ebrim

Mon 16 Sep 2019, 17:14

Just a note that my inspiration for the Aslene mostly came from the Parthians and Scythians. The whole rough attitude in Ravenland is however nordic in character. This said I didn't delve deeply into research, but rather took inspiration.
Thanks. Very useful for imagining clothes and such. Increase the vibrancy. But still nomadic or semi-nomadic horselords.