Ebrim

Boats

Sat 14 Sep 2019, 20:01

What kind of map travel speeds are you guys giving various water craft? I’m particularly interested in the sailboats.

I gave my players 3 hexes on a river in a canoe going with the current but that felt a little generous.

Valyar

Re: Boats

Sun 15 Sep 2019, 00:29

I have simple rules for handling this - 1 extra hex per day if they are traveling down the current. At the end of the journey they either have to pick on which river bank they will camp or continue during the night, which leads to another hex automatically, but increased chance for some nasty river encounters and most importantly - conditions related to exhaustion.
Last edited by Valyar on Sun 15 Sep 2019, 10:00, edited 1 time in total.

The1TrueFredrix

Sun 15 Sep 2019, 09:47

I am still thinking about this.  I allowed my players three hexes a quarter. But I think in rivers against the tide, it’s more likely to be walking pace, the real advantage Rivers confer is the transportation on cargo, not speed. At sea it would be different.
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Ebrim

Sun 15 Sep 2019, 14:27

I am still thinking about this.  I allowed my players three hexes a quarter. But I think in rivers against the tide, it’s more likely to be walking pace, the real advantage Rivers confer is the transportation on cargo, not speed. At sea it would be different.
Perhaps. Depends on the wind too. Yeah, going to have to think about it.

faun

Tue 17 Sep 2019, 01:09

I think there should be increases in mishap on downstream, especially if they don't have a guide. Upstream travel was often helped with a horse on the path by a river on well travelled routes. Without that you would Paddle, tack with a sail, use a pole if possible, or carry the boat especially to avoid rapids. Paddling/pushing is tough and far more exhausting than most adventures are used to. More than a quarter day by the same rower/pusher would be generally be exhausting and impede their usefulness the next day.
Not having the sailor talent would be hard to avoid mishap. Like rivers are rated I'd assign a rating to make per quarter day travel being the successes needed on the survival roll. I was also thinking of imposing a negative die roll modifier due to not having a sailor. I would also assign gear dice to the craft with banes causing leaks or additional mishaps.
There should be a solid d66 mishap table if characters travel by sea/river often.
I'd like to see some water based beasts to also harass the PCs.
GZIP: Off