Eviljim

Sharp tongue

Tue 10 Sep 2019, 23:32

This ability gets used a little too much as an ‘I win’ button in my group. Any advice how to mitigate its potency?

Fenhorn

Re: Sharp tongue

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 00:25

That's the one that damaging Empathy, right? Give the various NPCs, a point or two in the Insight skill.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore

hperantunes

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 03:54

Also, keep in mind that rendering a character Broken in Empathy, or even just defeating them in a Social Conflict, may result in the said character choosing to physically attack their opponent.

Next time the savage orator in your party tries to verbally brutalize some buff NPCs into submission, consider that smashing their face into a pulp is a valid counter-argument. :)

Eviljim

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 14:02

Also, keep in mind that rendering a character Broken in Empathy, or even just defeating them in a Social Conflict, may result in the said character choosing to physically attack their opponent.

Next time the savage orator in your party tries to verbally brutalize some buff NPCs into submission, consider that smashing their face into a pulp is a valid counter-argument. :)
Yup, that was my thought too - but aren’t characters ‘incapacitated’ when reduced to 0 for Empathy?

Fenhorn

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 14:30

Incapacitated is a strong word. A broken character is "put out of action" but it can differ slightly from attribute to attribute. For Empathy the rules say:

"You break down in despair or self-pity. You must either explode in a violent outburst, kicking and breaking everything around you, or withdraw from everyone around you."

This mean that someone that is broken in Empathy can go nuts. What this means in gameplay will vary from one situation to another but it can mean that the "bullied" will try to kicking and breaking the source of his misery, namely the "bully". If we purely looking at rule, I could in such a situation rule that the character is allowed to kick the "target" for his despair or self-pity in an uncontrolled way, meaning attacking, throwing vases, etc. but no dodging or parrying (i.e no tactical combat, pure rage).
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore
GZIP: Off