PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Forbidden Lands Sequence of Play

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 00:06

Can anyone point me to a detailed sequence of play for Forbidden Lands. I was hoping for something like MYZ but the game seems much more complicated.

When you travel to a new hex, beyond encounters, what determines what you find there (village, adventure site, etc.)?

Fenhorn

Re: Forbidden Lands Sequence of Play

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 00:29

If the players travel to an adventure site (village, dungeon, castle), you as a GM place an adventure site there. There are three already done adventure sites in the GM's Guide, nine in the Raven's Purge Campaign book and four in the Spire of Quetzel book. There is already a "creating an adventure site" rule set so you can create your own. Even though it is possible to create your own site on the fly with those rules I recommend that you prepare some in advance. You can see where your players are and what adventure sites that is nearby. Also ask the players where they want to go. If they wants to go to a nearby dungeon, prepare that dungeon and perhaps any adventure site nearby.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 00:50

What determines where adventure sites are? Do I just choose where they are before the session? 

PencilBoy99
Topic Author

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 00:51

What is it the player's do at an adventure site? Unlike MYZ there's nothing specific for them to do (e.g., get supplies for the ark).

Fenhorn

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 02:00

What determines where adventure sites are? Do I just choose where they are before the session?
On the Forbidden Lands map, Villages, Castles and Dungeons are marked. On the map there are also a terrain type called Ruins. That is just a terrain type, but can also act as an adventure site if you like (can be anything).

What is it the player's do at an adventure site? Unlike MYZ there's nothing specific for them to do (e.g., get supplies for the ark).
In the official adventure sites, you have, well adventures. In the GM's Guide, you have three of the official adventure sites, one of each type.
- In 'The Hollow', we have a Village where the players find several intrigues that they can help solve, one way of the other, there is also the fact that some ghosts wander about at night.
- In 'Weatherstone' we have an old Castle that that has a curse upon it, but also legends about treasure.
- In 'The Vale of the Dead', the players find a Dungeon filled with things to discover.

If you use the rules to create your own adventure site, those sites will have their stories to be unfold by the players and if you don't have time to prepare adventure sites yourself, then there is the campaign book (Raven's Purge) with nine adventure sites linked together to a campaign) and also an adventure book (Spire of Quetzel) with four independent adventure sites. All these sites, including those that you create yourself, can be placed on the map on the various adventure sites hexes as you see fit.

In the campaign (Raven's Purge) there is an epic story that drives the players. If you don't play that, then it is up to the players to determine what drives them to do what they do. Perhaps they like to have a Stronghold and that cost a lot.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

lupex

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 09:26

Can anyone point me to a detailed sequence of play for Forbidden Lands. I was hoping for something like MYZ but the game seems much more complicated.

When you travel to a new hex, beyond encounters, what determines what you find there (village, adventure site, etc.)?
Have you looked at the map? Each Hex may have
a random encounter and/or have one of the three adventure site types as displayed on the map.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

The1TrueFredrix

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 15:15

What do players do? Survive. Which is hard. Money is tight and does not go far, food is scarce. Your players will want to visit adventure sites to acquire a reward or treasure and make life more comfortable. The key thing is to seed them with legends. When one of those legends captures their imagination, decide where the relevant site is on the map (not too far away) and send them there. 

The Adventure Sites themselves are not very railroady. They describe a situation, and your players must make of them what they will, so as GM, get to know the NPCs, their relationships and motivations, and get the players to meet the NPCs early in the session. In the Hollows for example, they might just do the first job they are offered, or play-off the rivals against each other. It’s entirely up to them. They might not uncover all the encounters in the adventure site, but that’s OK, you can hold them in reserve for when they next visit. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/