Jeff Mindlin
Topic Author

Adventure sites - share the numbered versions with players??

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 22:17

Hi,
Do you give your players the numbered versions?
I think I will. Makes it easier for them to say where there are going.
Thoughts?

Dreekenkorin

Re: Adventure sites - share the numbered versions with players??

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 23:09

What do you mean by 'numbered versions'?

Jeff Mindlin
Topic Author

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 23:20

Maps with numbered locations rather than the maps with just the drawing.

faun

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 23:30

I don't, it shows all the places that rumors lead to and that they need to do something to accomplish. Like the hollows, showing them the map leads them not only to the temple on the hill, but also they don't have to wait for the full moon to find the tomb if they see the map. I suppose some maps that would be fine, but even then if the map doesn't have a dot by it that means it isn't important, so they won't RP as much, they'll just ask what's that dot, I go there. which is less exploring, more just going to the mall and looking at the store directory with a big "You Are Here" button. 

Jeff Mindlin
Topic Author

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 23:36

Thanks for replying.
Do you give them the map with no numbers?
Or no map?
If you give map doesn’t that mean you just say “that’s someone’s house” when they ask about a non numbered location?

Jeff Mindlin
Topic Author

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 23:37

Or do you draw them a map as they explore?

faun

Sat 27 Jul 2019, 02:20

hmm, only sometimes if needed, or warranted, usually when we're doing encounters or something like that, but even then it might just be rough. No I give them the un numbered map and let them tell me what they are doing in town, how they are doing it, and what sorts of things they expect to find. I then color it, provide details, and let them meet NPCs that are in town, and give the latitude to create the town with me. look at sweden rolls for how that works, they essentially tell you what a town like this looks like and you direct them or give them some info. The in book adventures usually have bits to read, bits to hand out, and bits to describe the events and happenings so the town feels alive.

Valyar

Sun 28 Jul 2019, 09:27

I show them the "clean" version, without the numbers. This sparks their imagination much more. Also it is easy to refer without interrupting the narrative when they can't remember what was where.  Some players work better when they can visualize the adventure site and if there is map, I show it. The images of the adventure sites are prepared very well and they don't spoil anything.