Alucard89
Topic Author

Orc vs Human for Fighter

Mon 27 May 2019, 16:02

So Orc gives you potentially 6 Strength + Unbreakable. 

Human gives you 5 strength + Adaptive. 

Let's assume we will grab Berserker 3 talent for both at some point. 

Orc Fighter can get up using Berserker, go broke again and get up using his kin talent, then use Berserker and so on. Two things that can spoil this is: critical injury (which can be countered by Lucky, which can be countered by Executioner) and Coup de Grace. But in the end- you get very sturdy, very tanky (for Forbidden Lands) front line fighter for your party.

Human Fighter can get up using Berserker 3, that is all. However, he can also use his kin talent to be able to perform various other things: Healing, Performance, Stealth, Survival, Marksmanship etc. He won't be as sturdy as Orc, but he can perform a lot different tasks and bring more utility to party.

What race would you prefer as your party Fighter? 

It's worth to mention that Unbreakable can be done by party Minstrel with Path of Hymn 1. So maybe if you already have one, it might be worth more to bring Adaptive to the team.

Thoughts?

AndersP

Re: Orc vs Human for Fighter

Tue 28 May 2019, 09:04

When it comes to orcs you have to remember that they are hated by pretty much every other kin, so even if the orc might be a better fighter the orc will have a hard time when entering villages and other civilized places that is not ruled by orcs. So the group will suffer if it contains an orc.

That of course demands that the GM takes this in consideration…

Alucard89
Topic Author

Tue 28 May 2019, 15:20

Of course palying Orc has a roleplaying "weight" behind it. But what I am talking about here is: is Orc better combat survival worth the utility of human for Fighter in others opinion? 

Did anyone played Orc Fighter btw. and can tell how really good his kin talent is? Were you missing not being Human for their kin talent a lot? Or as Human- were you missing higher STR or Unbreakable talent?

Fenhorn

Tue 28 May 2019, 15:25

None of my players have ever (or will ever) play orc, but I do think the human is better over all. In a pure duel, the orc will probably win, since even though the human can adapt, the orc can keep getting up, the human is down when he is down.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Alucard89
Topic Author

Tue 28 May 2019, 16:53

None of my players have ever (or will ever) play orc, but I do think the human is better over all. In a pure duel, the orc will probably win, since even though the human can adapt, the orc can keep getting up, the human is down when he is down.
Yeah, straight duel would probably go to Orc. Human can stand up once with Berserker 3, but to put down Orc he would need: good critical or Executioner 3 to kill it outright when you broke it (before it can use Berserker or Unbreakable) or break him with fast action attack (Ambidex) and Coup de Grace him with slow action, which would require Cold Blooded 1 or 2.

But considering NPCs/monsters in books (or Raven's Purge) there are no that many of enemies with Executioner 2-3 talent. For combating what books have (straight combating) I think Orc would have an edge due to to Unbreakable-Zerker-Push roll loop. At least you can be little more aggressive with Orc. You also can push melee attacks more as if you break and get WPs, you can get up next turn. I would see Orc Fighter as a straight up Warrior/Berserker, that cuts through enemies on his path.

Human would definitely have more ways to resolve things differently (Sneak, Ambush, Manipulation). He can sneak and get free attack, talk his way out of bad situation or support team (Healing etc.). I see Human Fighter as more of cunning Mercenary, that would try to get advantage first before striking. 

Btw. any particular reason why your players would never play as Orc?

Fenhorn

Tue 28 May 2019, 17:52

They don't play orc because of the bad reputation they have in the world. They feel they would create more enemies than they otherwise would have.

BrotherB

Thu 18 Jul 2019, 16:29

How about an dwarf fighter?
Nothing lasts, but nothing is lost.

Gallöga

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 11:45

Hobbit tank is superior.

Fenhorn

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 11:55

Hobbit tank is superior.
This  8-)

Valyar

Tue 23 Jul 2019, 06:36

The orcs are superior fighters due to the Unbreakable talent. In my game I have two orcs that use quite efficiently the push mechanics and the fact that you can't suffer critical damage if you break yourself. The battle starts when they are broken :D

What is not so good is the animosity towards the orcs from all other races - they had hard times getting to some places just because of how they look and had to negotiate with some groups after they fight with them and leave them alive and taking care for the wounds to prove a point. So it is not only the stats and talents that matter.