Magnus Seter
Topic Author

Let me introduce myself: I am Magnus and I am writing the next expansion

Fri 10 May 2019, 14:28

Hi all!

My name is Magnus Seter and I am currently writing the next official expansion book for Forbidden Lands. The theme is ice and cold and a rather miserable general outlook on life, sprinkled with deadly and exciting adventures.

Some of you might know me as Adolphus Altdorfer, my alter ego on my WFRP blog "The Altdorf Correspondent", where I publish my iAltdorf city map for download. Some might even know me as the author of the first edition Mutant Chronicles game, and those of you who read Swedish might know me for writing a ton of rpg stuff over the years. I'm been playing rpgs since 1982, I love Call of Cthulhu, WFRP and Cyberpunk, I have game mastered The Masks of Nyarlathotep a couple of times (the players kept dying so we never managed to finish), game mastered The Enemy Within (up until Empire in Flames), and game mastered the entire Kingmaker adventure path for Pathfinder (that was a chore at the end). I am also excited for the Forbidden Lands rpg, and listen to Sweden Rolls and Mud&Blood to keep up with the fan buzz around the game.

I am at the moment six sessions into my bi-weekly Forbidden Lands campaign and I have finally convinced my players to leave The Hollows to take on the larger world outside the village stone walls. I intend to steer them north so that they become the first to playtest the new material.

Anyways, that's a short introduction. Do you have any questions? I'll endeavor to answer them as well as I can, but remember that the Free League like to keep their cards close to their chests, so there might be some things I might not answer right now. But when the stars are right ...

Ah, one question that I anticipate I can answer right away: more than half of the first version of the manuscript is written ... in Swedish ...

:-)

Regards

/Magnus

Valyar

Re: Let me introduce myself: I am Magnus and I am writing the next expansion

Fri 10 May 2019, 14:41

Hello Magnus, thanks for the introduction! :)

Maybe hint or two where the setting will be for the next expansion? Which lands we will explore? With the Raven's Purge putting end on the story in Ravenlands, where to next? :)

Magnus Seter
Topic Author

Fri 10 May 2019, 14:55

Hello Magnus, thanks for the introduction! :)

Maybe hint or two where the setting will be for the next expansion? Which lands we will explore? With the Raven's Purge putting end on the story in Ravenlands, where to next? :)
We go north! So the area above the Ravenlands, so to say. A new map at the same scale to match the Ravenlands map is being developed.

Also, I don't think that the story in Ravenlands is all done yet ...

Cheers!

/Magnus

Valyar

Fri 10 May 2019, 15:22

Nice! I like the winter themes and the fact that we will venture into the frozen tundra above the Stillmist. If I recall north is where the elves are and we should expect interesting take on their fate and what is going on with them?

Is there plan in the expansion to have something canon related to how Raven's Purge ends, as the campaign itself is open to several endings at least.

Magnus Seter
Topic Author

Fri 10 May 2019, 15:36

Nice! I like the winter themes and the fact that we will venture into the frozen tundra above the Stillmist. If I recall north is where the elves are and we should expect interesting take on their fate and what is going on with them?

Is there plan in the expansion to have something canon related to how Raven's Purge ends, as the campaign itself is open to several endings at least.
1. We will learn more about the elves and their fate and history. This will shed some light on their outlook on the world, and might change their standings in the Ravenlands.

2. This expansion will have an option to have it continue after Raven's Purge. We can't cover all possible endings, but some bigger events will influence what happens in the north.

Valyar

Fri 10 May 2019, 18:22

Will the expansion include extra mechanical goodies to enhance the system available in the core game? More kins, professions, magic, talents and additional combat rules for those who enjoy more options during combat? :)

Magnus Seter
Topic Author

Fri 10 May 2019, 20:06

Will the expansion include extra mechanical goodies to enhance the system available in the core game? More kins, professions, magic, talents and additional combat rules for those who enjoy more options during combat? :)

We will add rules, with the goal to make them usable not only in the cold north. At the moment they are mostly related to the environment, rather than combat and professions. I will take note of your suggestions. We have talked about adding talents, but that is still under discussion.

Good questions! Keep em coming!

/Magnus

lupex

Fri 10 May 2019, 21:02

Will this be released as a kickstarter? If so what is the likely launch date?
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Magnus Seter
Topic Author

Fri 10 May 2019, 21:11

Will this be released as a kickstarter? If so what is the likely launch date?
Plans around the publishing plan is unfortunately not in my domain.

Cheers!

/Magnus

Valyar

Fri 10 May 2019, 21:53

I suggest for each adventure site part of the book to put a line with recommended or suggested location :)