Attackmack
Topic Author

Group/Party composition

Sun 21 Apr 2019, 21:36

Only working my way through the players book at the moment but one thing came to mind.

Dwarves and elves "tolerate" each other and I guess halflings go along with everyone somewhat but other than that they all seem to hate each others guts out.
I can appreciate there is the odd character or situation where the players wont get along, but in this setting it seems nearly impossible to explain why a group would at all choose to stay together, help out or consider each other "friends" unless they spawn from the same race.

How do you evade this issue, have you toned down the hatred the races feel for each other or are you tying the characters together through some exceptional backstory/event?

Davian

Re: Group/Party composition

Mon 22 Apr 2019, 01:22

I’ve toned it down very much. The whole hatred against other races is a very bland and boring trope.

I play that the differences are more of cultural differences than racial. Also, no race or culture is predetermined to think this and that about the others. They are merely inclined to do that.

Attackmack
Topic Author

Mon 22 Apr 2019, 08:48

I’ve toned it down very much. The whole hatred against other races is a very bland and boring trope.

I play that the differences are more of cultural differences than racial.  Also, no race or culture is predetermined to think this and that about the others. They are merely inclined to do that.
Yes its a very common trope, but this IS a game full of nostalgia though :)
But from how the different races are described in the rulebook I just cant see them working together in a party.

I could see the descriptions being the interpretation of the oldest of their kin currently alive, like the old farts sitting around all day muttering about the "damn elves". But the player characters, the younger generations who might not care about the sins of 300 years ago, wouldnt feel the same about it.

Brior

Mon 22 Apr 2019, 09:34

I think if you read both books and perhaps the Raven's purge campaign you will see many examples of groups of all kins trying to bridge the old hatred and dislikes, for instance alves that acknowledge that they have mistreaded the orcs earlier and try to make amends (Eye of the Rose), dwarves making deals with orcs, orcs trying to prove themselves as a proud kin relating to others without reverting to violence, Raven sisters living peacefully with elves and halfelves etc. Of course you also have groups hating all others – this lets the players choose how they want to play.

Generally I think its a very useful and tried story setup getting clumped with people you have prejudices against only to eventually find out that you understand, like and respect them. This is a common story element in several movies (Avatar, Enemy mine, Star Trek, Babel, Pitch black for instance) and games (like The Last of Us).

pellejones

Mon 22 Apr 2019, 10:01

I have also made the hatred a bit toned down. There are a few elves who hate humans and some orcs that hate elves. But I even made a band of bandits that consists of Orcs, Humans and Half-elves, as a plot element :)

Arnold

Mon 22 Apr 2019, 18:54

The most of the conflicts are hundreds of years old and i think there is a chance that some of them have cold down a bit. The last 300 years there was the bloodmist with very view interracial conflicts or that stuff.

The more i think of it the more i see it as an fantastic apocalitic world with most of the inhabitans washed away by the demon flood ...

I see it more like a world with an epic conflict between two major players and some minor players.

The major fractions are: 

1) The demons, wolfskin, frailers, mutants, rust church, iron guard, zygofer.
The wyrm supporters find theirself here, too.

2) The elfes and dwarfs, along with the raven supporters and the elfenspring.

The orcs tribes could clash with both fractions, as well as the aslenes.
I see both more in tendence to the elf/ dwarf fraction, as they all hate the demons most.

The goblins are allied with the halflings and try to betray everyone.

Gangir

Tue 23 Apr 2019, 14:52

Why did you put Wolfkin in the "rust/demon" faction? They are most neutral of the kins in all other kins are weaklings. 
I see them as part of the nature a sort of equalizer to the Elves world building. 

Arnold

Wed 24 Apr 2019, 17:03

1) The wolfskin whorship the godness haeme

2) There are rumors that they were crerated by zygover/ zytheria as mutant hybrid monsters

3) They live in the influence area of  the alderlanders, which are ruled by the rust church and the iron guard 

Gangir

Mon 29 Apr 2019, 15:04

1) The wolfskin whorship the godness haeme

2) There are rumors that they were crerated by zygover/ zytheria as mutant hybrid monsters

3) They live in the influence area of  the alderlanders, which are ruled by the rust church and the iron guard 
Wow yes you are correct missed those small things! But I still see them a more neutral anyway as they "hate" everyone :-)

Arnold

Mon 29 Apr 2019, 20:00

That is totally okay.

In my upcoming goblin- orc- group will be a wolfkin warrior, too.
I think i will develop two or three different small wolfkin tribes with different alliances or some kind of that ...