lecanz
Topic Author

No Multiple Combats in a day?

Tue 02 Apr 2019, 21:08

So we have been playing the system for a while now and the question arises that it doesn't appear conducive to having multiple combats in a row.  Like fighting room to room, I assume this is the intent?
The reason being that melee PCs are at a severe disadvantage compared to archers/casters because their main stat is strength and that's pretty much what all damage does they aren't viable if their strength is reduced and only have 1 strength compared to an archer who isn't affected on their to hit rolls because their strength is down.

If the intent of the system is a one combat a day (or quarter day) that makes sense however but for a dungeon crawl, which some adventure sites appear to try and do this would be very hard to do if not impossible because healing isn't easy unless a healer banks a lot of willpower to keep everyone up.

thanks!

Valyar

Re: No Multiple Combats in a day?

Tue 02 Apr 2019, 22:06

Interesting question and the answer is "it depends". The game system is fast and furious and characters can quickly go down the spiral if they take a hit or two, but this does not mean that you have to keep to one tough battle and then expect the party to rest. I would say you should try to mix and match different encounters to constantly keep your players on edge and have diverse experience. 

Have an adventure site with many levels, rooms and monsters that will exhaust the players not due to the strength of the encounters but due to the number of them. This will put interesting challenge in front of the group - to barricade a room somewhere to rest, like in the old D&D 1e, 2e days. Then arrange something as big battle with few tough monsters and have this be the encounter for the day. Those diverse approach to combat will challenge the players and force them not to go into some routine where they push the rolls just because they know it is rest time. Never allow them to "settle down" in the Forbidden Lands, always provide different challenges.

Addramyr

Wed 03 Apr 2019, 16:13

It's a perk of the system in my eyes.

It means the party can't rely on murderhoboism. They need to find alternative solutions and plan out their attacks if they do.

Euclid Prime

Wed 03 Apr 2019, 18:01

The reason being that melee PCs are at a severe disadvantage compared to archers/casters because their main stat is strength and that's pretty much what all damage does they aren't viable if their strength is reduced and only have 1 strength compared to an archer who isn't affected on their to hit rolls because their strength is down.
From a realistic view (instead of a game balance view) I'd say it makes more sense that close fighters banging at the enemy and being hit by the enemy would both have more damage (STR loss) and be more fatigued (AGI loss) than an archer in the rear shooting arrows with no real touch contact with the enemy. The archer may be fatigued but may not have been slammed in the face with a battle axe.

You could always hack it to a more Coriolis type (Hit Points = STR+AGI) of rule into the system.

lupex

Wed 03 Apr 2019, 22:34

Also, running away is a perfectly valid alternative to fighting.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

Valyar

Wed 03 Apr 2019, 23:30

And yet so many players forget about this excellent option! :D

Gangir

Thu 04 Apr 2019, 09:37

And yet so many players forget about this excellent option! :D
Mostly those who like to roll new characters :-)

Gangir

Thu 04 Apr 2019, 09:42

So we have been playing the system for a while now and the question arises that it doesn't appear conducive to having multiple combats in a row.  Like fighting room to room, I assume this is the intent?

If the intent of the system is a one combat a day (or quarter day) that makes sense however but for a dungeon crawl, which some adventure sites appear to try and do this would be very hard to do if not impossible because healing isn't easy unless a healer banks a lot of willpower to keep everyone up.

thanks!
I do not fully agree with this there is muliple ways to heal damange, Path of the hymn (2), healing hands or simply rest for 1/4 of a day. 

Nicomos

Thu 04 Apr 2019, 18:24

It also depends on tactics and luck, and frankly what/who they are up against.  

Gothhog

Mon 29 Apr 2019, 13:29

I house rule that the PC:s may with roleplaying justify taking damage on other attributes than Strength.

With this rule it’s possible to describe exhaustion (Agility damage); hesitation and fear (Intelligence damage); fury and frustration (Charisma damage) in addition to broken bones, pain and gore (Strength damage).