Eviljim
Topic Author

Mounted combat

Sun 17 Mar 2019, 17:59

Hey,

Can anyone offer some clarification/share experiences re: mounted combat? In particular:

1. Does the horse provide the movement element for mounted characters and by extension, can the horse react and dodge 'for' the character via a move test? 
2. If the horse attacks an enemy while it is mounted, does it do this separate to the PC riding it and thus does not affect that PCs fast/slow action use for that round or require an animal handling test?
3. Or is it the case that if a PC is riding a horse (case in point relates to a war horse which is less than shabby in combat) then for the horse to be involved in combat at all requires an animal handling skill test, which reflects all of the PCs actions for that round?

Apologies for the garbled explanation, but hopefully you get what I'm driving at :)

Cheers,

Sherman

Re: Mounted combat

Mon 18 Mar 2019, 09:27

Riding Animals do not do these things. They do not have actions from my understanding.

pg. 115, MOVE: "When you are mounted, and are about to perform an action that usually requires you to roll MOVE, roll for ANIMAL HANDLING instead..."

That's your action, and you making a roll, the animal's abilities are irrelevant. Now, in the open, you're moving faster so there's that.

pg. 69, Path of the Companion, Rank 3, you can spend a WP point to make your "horse" attack.

I'm pretty sure that's all the relevant information on riding animal actions... Your mount doesn't make you particularly more dangerous in a fight, but you get other bonuses for being mounted that make you plenty more effective. 

Eviljim
Topic Author

Mon 18 Mar 2019, 22:43

Perfect, many thanks. I suspected that we were over complicating matters.

Tomas
Site Admin

Sun 31 Mar 2019, 19:03

Correct.
Fria Ligan

currentpattern

Sun 21 Feb 2021, 02:02

ANIMAL HANDLING skill states:
Using ANIMAL HANDLING, you can attempt to command a tame animal to do your bidding. The actions you want it to perform must be simple and within the framework of the animal’s normal behavior. The GM decides what is reasonable. An attempt to do this takes at least a few minutes.
If I want a pet wolf, or a wolf mount to attack, it SEEMS reasonable to assume that ANIMAL HANDLING could cover this: attacking is a simple action within the framework of a wolf's normal behavior.

Yet, this would make PATH OF THE BEAST III and PATH OF THE COMPANION III useless.

I need a reason why ANIMAL HANDLING cannot be used to make a pet or mount attack. "An attempt to do this takes at least a few minutes," seems odd, since you don't need to reason with a trained animal in order to execute a command: "Sick 'em!" is typically all it takes.

I think a possible alternative is that when you spend a WP activating PATH OF THE BEAST/COMPANION III, the PC has full control of the animal for 1 round, and the animal will continue to attempt that action for all subsequent rounds until called off. But a successful ANIMAL HANDLING attack command means the GM is in control of the animal, and the animal may break off the attack next round/do whatever it wants, requiring a new command each round. Thoughts?

Fascinated Overseer

Sun 21 Feb 2021, 12:27

I need a reason why ANIMAL HANDLING cannot be used to make a pet or mount attack. "An attempt to do this takes at least a few minutes," seems odd, since you don't need to reason with a trained animal in order to execute a command: "Sick 'em!" is typically all it takes.
If your character can tame and train a pet to follow commands like "Sick 'em!", you already have to have the talent PATH OF THE BEAST III. As a GM I would make a ruling that attacking armed humanoids or monsters is not "within the framework of the animal’s normal behavior". Tamed animals are just tame. They are not trained or obedient. They are not afraid of humanoids and just hang out with you for food and protection.

Another example: If you purchased a trained battle hound for you character, would it obey you? Yes, the animal is tame and will follow you and do stuff dogs do (e.g. guarding), but would it be trivial to make it attack an enemy? As a RL non-dog-person without the PATH OF THE BEAST, I think not. To command the animal efficiently in the midst of combat you have to purchase the PATH OF THE BEAST III.

Melvin

Tue 23 Feb 2021, 12:36

By spending a wp the animal can attack on the same round with the character without the need to use a skill as a slow action (default action time to use a skill in combat). That's how I make the difference with my players. The talents use is a free action,and for others a slow action with animal handling.