Spiraller
Topic Author

Will you allow an elf PC that's killed to have its ruby be planted into a tree and become an ent?

Sat 16 Mar 2019, 10:57

Or be planted into anything else for that matter?

And will the pc still be able to communicate even as a naked gem?
Last edited by Spiraller on Sat 16 Mar 2019, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

Arnold

Re: Will you allow an elf PC that's killed to have its ruby be planted into a tree and become an ent?

Sat 16 Mar 2019, 11:35

I don´t kno exactly.

In my campaign, an elf will start with the body of a goblin.

But it will cost lots of Willpower AND Ingame Time to change it back, a process for perhaps hal a year.

To became an ent, i as a gamesmaster would tell the player a lot of requirements:

A suitable tree
Helpers for a ritual
Time, perhaps 2-3 years (no problem for an elf, but ...)
Tons of Willpower

Brior

Re: Will you allow an elf PC that's killed to have its ruby be planted into a tree and become an ent?

Sat 16 Mar 2019, 12:07

As Arnold says, the process of changing form probably is very time-consuming. To become an ent might well take more than a human lifetime since the ruby has to grow into the tree (although if you think this is a cool idea, you can change it of course).

I picture that elves in ruby form may communicate only in dreams (like Iridne) if they have sufficient skills and willpower, or with the help of a stillmist master acting as interpreter. Otherwise not at all. (Again this might be changed by the gaming group as desired.)

Sherman

Mon 18 Mar 2019, 09:45

Definitely allow it. Then check back in every three or four sessions and talk about how they're connecting with their roots, and feeling the slow flow of sap through their limbs. Maybe do a little role-play with an elf minder who swings by to fumigate for bugs and sing their character a song or two. I'm also in the camp of "becoming an ent is a decades long process".

For that matter, I never thought that elf death was any different from anyone else's death rules wise. They're dead and out of the game. The fact that their spirit lives on and can form a new body is irrelevant since I believe that process is years long, and beyond the scope of any campaign I'm running. Still, there is plenty of story elements to make this ability interesting I think. An elf could very easily be newly reformed, having been lost for centuries before being allowed to reform their body. Such a character might have totally missed the Blood Mist, or even the arrival of man. Or perhaps they fought Zygofer's demons the first time around, or were friends with Martea before he turned her. 

Immortality has some fun story elements, especially when you could have been killed, "lived" as a gem and gotten carried around for a few decades, been reformed, fought invading humans as an ent, died again, been lost in a river for a hundred years, found by a halfling while he's out fishing, brought to an elven druid to be reformed again, and ultimately start your new adventures with that halfling's offspring.

Anyway, definitely yes to an elf becoming an ent. But definitely no to anything that breaks the game like characters being monsters.

Attackmack

Sun 21 Apr 2019, 21:30

From a complete noob to this game and setting I just wanna add...

...That you should definitely allow it because it sounds so awesome and absurd at the same time, absolutely something to be remembered! I wouldnt allow the player to keep playing said character in any form though, dead should be dead, but let them plant it and watch the tree grow and evolve and than one day its just gone, having departed leaving nothing but a hole on the ground

Ebrim

Tue 30 Jul 2019, 23:19

I think that’s a great way to create an awesome NPC that may show up to help the party (or at least a friend in the party) later on. But the timeframe would preclude the PC from being an active party member for so long that I think they should make a new one.

Jeff Mindlin

Wed 31 Jul 2019, 02:47

Sounds great. I wouldn’t let them
Play the ent though. Great npc to turn up and not get the party out of trouble because it has its own agenda...

Tywyll

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 13:50

With time and proper components, yeah, I would allow it. And depending on where things were in the campaign, I might even let them play the ent.

faun

Fri 04 Oct 2019, 18:19

it would be awesome to build a stronghold around the elf turning into an ent, it would lend a cool way for the elf to retire the character but still come back as an NPC at times.